Shackle reversal - how to

FridgeFreezer

Very early 80 inch Land Rovers (1948 - 50?) had the shackles at the front with narrow front springs. Early ones of them had roller bearings top and bottom of the swivel (like and may be same parts as 90)

Reading between the lines of the workshop manual and the parts manual there seem to have been wheel wobble and stability problems as gradually the springs were widened, shackled at the rear and the cone type top swivels introduced to provide damping and get over this problem.

While we talk of reversing our shackles, others are going the other way :rolleyes: principle is basically the same either way round I think - and the grass is always greener ;)

Fridge why would you want te reverse your shackles? Shackles on the fron gice a different sort of issues, one for instance is vague steering because of the movement in the bushes especially when stuck and with larger tires.....

I didn't say I did want to reverse my shackles - it's just that it's been talked about on here a fair bit so when I read the article I thought it was interesting, not only because it shows one way of doing it but also because they are swapping to the Land Rover style.

I didn't say I did want to reverse my shackles - it's just that it's been talked about on here a fair bit so when I read the article I thought it was interesting, not only because it shows one way of doing it but also because they are swapping to the Land Rover style.

Oops, glad you dont want to swap :P