Am i the only one that............

Disco-Ron

I can't be the only person to buy things on;y to find that they don;t fit the vehicle, recently bought a 2nd hand, (which means it was fitted once...) Scrapiron bumper fopr the back of my disco 300tdi......... only to find that you need to bend the lower edge of the rear quarted in about 1/2 inch to fit the bumper..... each side, that can't be right surely....... i'm getting well and truly fed up of buying stuff that won;t fit.......

Please help me before i take drastic action......

I can't be the only person to buy things on;y to find that they don;t fit the vehicle, recently bought a 2nd hand, (which means it was fitted once...) Scrapiron bumper fopr the back of my disco 300tdi......... only to find that you need to bend the lower edge of the rear quarted in about 1/2 inch to fit the bumper..... each side, that can't be right surely....... i'm getting well and truly fed up of buying stuff that won;t fit.......

No, it is absolutely normal to find things follow this pattern:

1. Don't fit

2. Break when shaped to fit

3. Come with instructions which don't mention the product doesn't fit

4. Take 3 times as long to fit as described

5. Corrode less than 30 seconds after fitting

6. When bought on ebay stop working 3 minutes after you can record negative feedback

7. The brighter the paint doubles the chances of falling into 1-6 above

Welcome to the real world.

I think that it's the chassis tolerances that might be part of the issue here - I seem to recall that the distance from the centre datum to each chassis leg is quoted with a tolerance of +0mm -5mm so that even if they always built to spec the distance between the legs can vary by a 10mm - which is a little tricksy when you are trying to slide something into the gap! :blink:

Roger

I've got a totally useless X-Brake that doesn't work....buyer collects.

Yes...it's very frustrating when you buy things that don't work as advertised....especially when it's not cost effective to return them.

Well, you're in the minority with that one, my x brake will hold a fully laden discovery on a very steep slope indeed......!!!

Hi Disco Ron,

I've had many dealings of spending my hard earned & taxed cash to be sold a real load of carp.

From Terra-Firma / Frogs Island & Fernside 4x4 in Dorset for example.

Perhaps we need a NAME & SHAME forum heading to let other people know what they're in for.

It's very British, we pay top whack to sh=te & no follow up service & are expected to be happy with this.

Once these buggers have our cash & the till is shut, the service ends.

I'm just sick of being screwed & robbed by everything English.

It's interesting that I can now buy stuff from China on a Monday, It arrives on Wednesday & costs 1/4 of cost of stuff in the UK & simply works, & takes half the time to arrive than if it was posted in the next street.

And

Mr China man speaks better English than most of the retailers in the UK, with excellent after service.

this is my experience any way.

It probably needs readjusting Streaky. It's common to have to do this once the brake has settled in.

Les.

My guys down at the workshop tried everything Les and still we couldn't get it right. I've swapped a few mails with X-Eng but they weren't really able to help much. The general opinion was that my Discovery is a 98 series I, left hand drive, V8 which might be different to the earlier models.

I'm sure Simon won't mind me pasting this here:

"Innevitably, because we could not try it on every model combination - there may be some that it will not fit. Out of 3000 sold, there have only been a few that have experienced unsolvable problems. We keep a database of problems against model type and year - and as yet, there doesn't seem to be a pattern. But there isn't really enough data yet to draw meaningful conclusions.

This research caused us to specify that it will not fit Borg-Warner transfer boxes. It will, but often needs a bit of fettling as to date we have found nine different rotational orientations of the bolt holes on the back plate. If we cut all of them - The holes join up to form a continuous slot!"

It's not their fault and I don't think they knew that my 1998 Left hand drive 300 series V8 with R380/LT230 would be one of the vehicles that presents problems with the fitment of the cable.

When I have time I'll get around to modifying the adjuster and will probably provide X-Eng with the relevant information so they can incorperate it into future designs of the X-Brake.

Streaky, well, the lever on the acual caliper sould have 3 holes in it, have you tried fitting the cable to either the middle hole, or the one nearest the caliper (if that makes sense) as both of those things will shorten the handbrake lever movement......

Also, when i fitted mine to the 300, i had to fit a 200 lever, which meant drilling a new hole in the tunnel.....

Another point, the lengths of cables can vary somewhat..... maybe you just got a long one.......;)

Filthy, yeh, i know what you mean, i ordered a front winch bumper, tree sliders, and HD rear bumper for my Disco, eventually the front bumper and sliders turned up, i'm still waiting on the rear bumper, and steering guard, i've given up, hence why i bought the bumper that caused this thread..... the good news is that the credit card co gave me my money back, as the co had gone bust..... so i now have in effect not paid for the front bumper or sliders...!!!

We tried every conceivable combination of holes Ron but with no joy. Simon went on to tell me that they'd heard of issues with different length cables so X-Eng went to the trouble of having their own ones made to ensure consistancy. I also purchased one of these cables from X-Eng at Billing to avoid having the wrong one.

If I have to start messing around with 200Tdi hand brake assemblies then I bin the entire project...I'd be extremley luck to find a 200 series Disco here.

Thanks & best regards.

S.

We tried every conceivable combination of holes Ron but with no joy. Simon went on to tell me that they'd heard of issues with different length cables so X-Eng went to the trouble of having their own ones made to ensure consistancy. I also purchased one of these cables from X-Eng at Billing to avoid having the wrong one.

If I have to start messing around with 200Tdi hand brake assemblies then I bin the entire project...I'd be extremley luck to find a 200 series Disco here.

Thanks & best regards.

S.

I have a 200 handbrake assembly here FOC to you.

Thats really generous Mike....wanna come over and fit it!

Seriously...if you don't mind keeping it for a while I just might take you up on that. Much depends on the progress I make over the next few weeks. I'm over for Billing but would have hoped to resolve the matter long before then. Lets see who's flying in and out of Dubai via Yorkcestorshire......

Thx very much.

S.