caliper rebuild kits

Any top-tips for pushing the dust guards on straight ?

I've a kit sitting there ready to go, and I have a spare set as well - only thing stopping me is these guards and potential screwups.. so if there's any hints from the pros.. ? :)

I've a kit sitting there ready to go, and I have a spare set as well - only thing stopping me is these guards and potential screwups.. so if there's any hints from the pros.. ? :)

Use one of the old pistons! :)

Fit the rubber sealing ring first and then the piston in the calliper, then slide the dust seal onto the piston and then the retaining ring so that it is over the dust seal. With everything lubed with brake fluid or with PROPER brake grease, use a bit of flat bar (or anything else big enough to overhang the piston sides yet still fit in the calliper) to push the piston in and a G-clamp round the whole thing to push it all the way home. The piston locates the rubber which supports the ring properly and the flat bar, pushed by the G-clamp, pushes the whole thing home nice and square. Works 90%+ of the time.

Stainless pistons are often cheaper than chrome ones. See ebay.

Chris

also before you fit the new pistons and seals make sure the grooves are completely clean, they often get clogged up with gunk which prevents the seal sitting properly. also make sure you put the seals in the right way round, some of them have a slight profile on, the thicker side should be innermost

Mike

Spliting the caliper makes it much easier.

Fit inner seal, then piston, then the outer seal in the retaining ring. I have a piece of tube that I turned on a lathe so that the inner diameter was the same as a piston then I use that to press the retaining ring home......in a press actually. Not that it needs that much pressure, but it keeps everything square and is an even distribution of force so less likely to destroy the rings.

I would also advise that you need to make the seat, that the outer seal and ring go into, very clean as this will also help things no end.

No recommendation with regard to which make of kit, I just used the ones from my local indy LR parts man; probably Bearmach.