Digital (Td5) Speedo Milage Adjustment

Retroanaconda

Hello all

Before I send my new Td5 speedo off to Digidash to have the mileage upped to match my vehicle's current reading, I thought I'd just check to see if anyone knew of anywhere else offering the same service that they've had particular success with? As always, cost is paramount...but good service goes a long way too.

I'm sure it's doable at home with the right equipment, but it's not something I have any expertise in.

Many thanks

if a td5 is obd11(obd2) or eobd or canbus(not sure which it is), why dont you buy an obd11 connector to usb from ebay then download software such as easy obd or something like that and do it yourself. the lead is a tenner and the software is free then use your laptop for it, and if it does work, you will also be able to read all system perameters of your motor, and remap it for more power if you are that way inclined by changing the perameters for fueling etc. i dont know how to do it, nor do i have a connection to any of the stuff i mentioned. but for a tenner and some time on the internet for software it is well worth it...

richard

if a td5 is obd11(obd2) or eobd or canbus(not sure which it is), why dont you buy an obd11 connector to usb from ebay then download software such as easy obd or something like that and do it yourself. the lead is a tenner and the software is free then use your laptop for it, and if it does work, you will also be able to read all system perameters of your motor, and remap it for more power if you are that way inclined by changing the perameters for fueling etc. i dont know how to do it, nor do i have a connection to any of the stuff i mentioned. but for a tenner and some time on the internet for software it is well worth it...

richard

As Ralph mentioned above, my motor is a 200Tdi so (thankfully) there's no computers inside to talk to :P The speedo is going to be the most advanced thing in it.

Thanks for the page reference Ralph, will investigate further :)

300 tdi's have a port, so i rekon a 200tdi will do too. either way it matters not. but it will still tell you how your engine is getting on.

regards

richard

The 300Tdi's diagnostic socket is only for the EGR system, NO 200Tdi Defenders had EGR fitted so no socket & same for earlier vehicles.

Heh, i put nearly 40k onto the missus old Fiesta when i changed the clocks for some with a rev counter.

Just noted it in the service history and kept the old clocks and sold them with the car.

Doesnt really matter what some numbers on the dial say imo.

richard

Again we see a total lack of understanding of the subject matter…………. Please research your facts before posting.

Although OBD leads and PC software are cheaply available, most of them will only allow you to read and maybe reset a minority of the common DTC’s ………. To gain access to all the interesting stuff you need the manufacturers implementation of the OBD interface (i.e.EOBD).

OBD I or II cannot reset the odometer mileage ……… it can reset the ECU mileage which is something totally different

CAN-bus cannot reset the odometer mileage (although it’s a lot more intelligent than the OBD standard) ………..

OBD I just gives access to a standardised series of DTC’s and the ability to reset them.

OBD II (forget about OBD1.5) was produced to provide a standard pinout and an extended set of DTC’s (allows for manufacturer DTC customisation).

CAN – Bus is part of the EODB standard and the DTC’s are still accessed via ODB standardisation. CAN-bus just allows multilayer communication between the various controllers in the vehicle……

The normal way that reprogramming of odometer mileage is done is to read the serial EEPROM and either erase it or reprogram with the correct mileage info.

well bull bar cowboy, again you are right.

not a total lack of understanding however perhaps a miss interpretation on the last part of the first post,

'I'm sure it's doable at home with the right equipment, but it's not something I have any expertise in.'

i did also say i don't know how it is done in my first post too. i also said i did not know which protocol it was.

but hey, if you wanna be alpha male you go right ahead and be it... i guess you know more than me about landy's as i have not had these type of vehicles for that long. most of my experience is from jap and euro cars. but honestly, you could be less of a drama type poster and just say that i was incorrect.

and

western, thankyou for letting me know about 200tdi's, i was not aware they did not have the port, i was considering buying the said lead for my 300tdi. but if it is only for egr, you have just saved me £10. bravo to you sir.

thanks again, and i will consider the context of my post next time prior to being vetted by you B.B.C.

seriously though, i will be sure to only post correct data and not any suggestions in future as some people seem to, to some extent expect gospel truth and not like possibilities other than the right ones.

richard