What the hell has fallen out of my gearbox?!?

Changed the gearbox oil as changes were a little notchy and this fell out. Strange, as the gearbox works fine in all gears (slightly notchy in 2nd) and the new oil (MTF-94) has made it just like new.

post-18025-027702300 1282425742_thumb.jpgpost-18025-098218600 1282425754_thumb.jpgpost-18025-061044700 1282425774_thumb.jpg

It can't be a drive gear as they're helical. Reverse? Looks like it's sheared off on one side, but it's smooth at the ends and there's a lip on the inner edge.

Stumped... :huh:

Part of a synchro hub?

Ah yeah, think i've found it. 3rd/4th Synchro hub. It's one of the 6 inner segments that's come off.

3230_12.JPG

I'll guess around £395 exchange :)

Well i wouldn't mind having a new gearbox....

Presumably though the thing will still run quite reliably; just maybe 3rd or 4th might miss a beat when engaging sometimes? Well, i think i'll convince myself that for the moment.

^^^

Been there and done that :rofl:

Carry your AA Card at all times, you'll find your ears learn to tune in to the gearbbox, and

you'll over the next weeks and months become obsessed with it with every noise bump or ratlle

that the LR makes as the "Oh God - this is it" type thoughts.

Then - one day when you are not thinking about it : http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=48252&st=0&p=439374&hl=gearbox&fromsearch=1entry439374

:lol:

Nige