300Tdi rear prop 'doughnut'

Trevorevans

I've been told that the rubber 'doughnut' on the rear prop shaft of the 300Tdi is a common failure made worse by lifting the suspension and general off road use, I've also been told that the cure is to do away with it by fitting the rear prop from a 200Tdi, is this information correct? What are your opinions/experience?

I've been told that the rubber 'doughnut' on the rear prop shaft of the 300Tdi is a common failure made worse by lifting the suspension and general off road use, I've also been told that the cure is to do away with it by fitting the rear prop from a 200Tdi, is this information correct? What are your opinions/experience?

This is correct. When lifting the suspension, the angle of the rear prop changes as well, and the rubber has a hard time handling the stress. Fitting a proper UJ is the best solution, but remember you need a different (4 bolt) diff flange as well.

Changing the doughnut itself is easy, but the bush inside of the prop that stabilises the doughnut also wears, and can be a PITA to remove. LR/OEM kits include both doughnut and inner bush, cheap aftermarket kits in blue boxes only have the doughnut.

With a 2" lift as mine has be prepared to typically change the doughnut every six months if you stay with it, when my rear diff packed up I swapped it out with a diff off a disco front axle (already got the 4 bolt flange) and fitted a 200 prop with new UJs, that was about 4 or 5 years ago and other than regular greasing I haven't had to change a UJ on the rear yet...