Fisher Price Fabrication

Andy

I had today off work & decided to do some CAD* with BFCP** processing in order to aerodynamically redesign the upper output of my heater unit. The intended outcome was to cause the air wasted heating the rear roof to be redirected into the cab to warm myself & any passengers.

Here is the early prototype test fitted

DSC00416.jpg

The parts of the prototype laid out on the fabrication bench

DSC00417.jpg

Recreated with a few changes in 1mm Ali sheet

DSC00418.jpg

High precision assembly of the ducting unit once complete & ready for fitting

DSC00421.jpg

And finally, the unit in position ready for use

DSC00422.jpg

*Cardboard Aided Design

**Back Of Cereal Packet

Well is it effective?

What heater is it?

Well it gets hot, not sure how great the airflow is as I only sealed the heater box to the bulkhead today. What you can't see behind it is a load of holes drilled to make an air intake behind the fan & then I hammered that outwards to clear the fan as it's about 1/2" proud of the box.

The heater is from a Robin Reliant, it seemed a plan as it's a Smiths heater that's smaller than the LR one. I couldn't fit the normal heater as the V8 conversion makes the tunnel slightly larger.

why you are at it I would suggest that you make a guard to cover the heater hose/valve , as being sprayed with boiling water can distract you when driving ! not being picky just a bit of well meant advice !

p.s neat bit of fabrication

That's an idea I'm thinking of anyway. The cubby box had to come out to let the heater fit so the middle seat is now a dog bed & I don't want her burning herself. I'll need to shield the lower pipe too as that drops straight through the floor because I didn't have enough hose to run it up over the bulkhead with the other one.

Cheers for the compliment, I'm finally managing to make things that fit & work. It's a huge improvement from my first attempts.

Well is it effective?

I've now tested it & it's not bad. Pumps out warm (not hot) air in the right directions. Trouble is with half the door seals missing, the doors not square in the holes, the roof shrunk a bit so it doesn't seal behind the doortops etc there is rather a lot of places for cold drafts to get in. Having said that, around town it actually got a touch too warm this evening within about 5mins of coming off the motorway so I'm happy with the result.

couldn't you just have used some 90 degree downpipe elbows? or some eberspacher stuff? not sure what dia your outlets are.

Pete

Where's the fun in that?

Actually I will be fitting some hose from the outlets in the bottom & ducting that to the footwells.