V8 engine conversion

Hi all

Just wondering more than anything at this stage but I've currently got a 200tdi 1984 90 that one day I'm hoping to convert to a v8? What engine is best?

And have seen one or two with the 4.0 along with the 50th editions

Also what are the complications and where can you get hold of kits if there are any or is it all custom fabrication?

"Which engine is best?" is a recipe for an internet argument, it very much depends on how deep your pockets are and what your aim is.

The later 4.0 / 4.6 have many improvements and a couple of known weaknesses, but on balance IMHO the 4.6 is the one to have (I may be biased).

"Which engine is best?" is a recipe for an internet argument, it very much depends on how deep your pockets are and what your aim is.

The later 4.0 / 4.6 have many improvements and a couple of known weaknesses, but on balance IMHO the 4.6 is the one to have (I may be biased).

What is the 4.6 out of I was not even aware of these! I know of the 4.4 rangerover engine but not seen it some in a defender

,,,,,,one day I'm hoping to convert to a v8? What engine is best?

Theres no replacement for displacement..... 4.6 is the answer to your question.

Im sure a certain waxoyl-wielding garfield will be along soon to say 5.2 but we dont all have his bank balance available... :hysterical:

What is the 4.6 out of I was not even aware of these! I know of the 4.4 rangerover engine but not seen it some in a defender

P38 Range Rover used a 4.6L Rover V8 thats largely the same design as the 3.5 and 3.9 and will fit just fine in a defender using standard off-the-shelf parts.

The later L322 Range Rover switched to the 4.4L BMW then later still the 4.2L Jaguar V8's, which would be much more of a challenge to install.

Hi Tom,

You'll love V8 ownership and as said there are off the shelf/breakers yard parts to do it as it was a standard model.

The only warning I have picked up on this forum is that if you are UK based and the 90 is registered as a Diesil then the DLVA will be very interested in it as you are changing fuels and apparently get very excited about this? Que adult to confirm please?

Marc.

Hi Tom,

You'll love V8 ownership and as said there are off the shelf/breakers yard parts to do it as it was a standard model.

The only warning I have picked up on this forum is that if you are UK based and the 90 is registered as a Diesil then the DLVA will be very interested in it as you are changing fuels and apparently get very excited about this? Que adult to confirm please?

Marc.

Yeah not to sure on all that! I would defo declare it to them but not sure what they would say or do? So the 4.6 rangerover engine is the one to get? Does anybody know of a kit that anyone makes or sells or could list everything I need?

The P38 Range Rovers and Discovery 2's had the later 4.0 and 4.6 (RR Only), which have various improvements from cross-bolted mains to better oil pump, serpentine belts... These days buying an entire P38 to break is quite viable. The common faults with the engines are well documented and often overblown, plenty of LR types will swear you off touching them at all - take it with a pinch of salt but do keep your eyes open when buying.

The fitting is broadly the same whichever V8 you go for - considerations of engine mounts, clutches, exhaust, gearbox adapter or replacement box, cooling, fuel pump, etc. have been covered plenty in the past on here.

I would look closely at Megasquirt'n'EDIS from Nige to get up & running with the factory fuel injection hardware, bolting carbs to a 4.6 is a horrid backwards step.

Oh and remember to drain the tank and refill with petrol before trying to start it!