1988 110 Hand brake parts

I want to order parts to sort out my sticking hand brake on my 1988 110. Can any one confirm that RTC3403 are the correct shoes and the green springs (FRC8549) are correct without me having the take the drum off to have look.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10621/RTC3403-LT230-TRANS-BRAKE-SHOES.html?search=RTC3403&page=1

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/6718/FRC8549-SPRING-TRANSMISSION-BRAKE-SHOE.html?search=FRC8549&page=1

Thank you very much Western for the help. I didn't consider new shoes may still have asbestos in them!

When I put RTC6179 in the search on lrseries, it suggests STC2990. A Google search tells me RTC6179 has been supseded by STC965. Should the hand brake on my 1988 110 be rod opperated? It is currently cable opperated.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Thank you very much Western for the help. I didn't consider new shoes may still have asbestos in them!

When I put RTC6179 in the search on lrseries, it suggests STC2990. A Google search tells me RTC6179 has been supseded by STC965. Should the hand brake on my 1988 110 be rod opperated? It is currently cable opperated.

on a 1988 it should be rod operated, but sounds like a 300tdi transfer box with the cable operated brake has been fitted, or just the brake parts, it's a easy swap,  

cable oprated shoes are item 5 in http://www.albrit.de/UNI.cfm?PAGE=754298&SPRACHE=EN#5 doubt you'll know which exact VIN of the original vehicle the cable operated brake came from, as the shoes are different. 

• Like 1

I've had problems before with the hand brake, I'd say it's never been satisfactory since I've had it. I don't think the transfer box is a later one, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone in the past has swapped bits about. I ordered shoes ages ago to fit and they were too big (stupidly I didn't take a note of the part number I had) so I just cleaned everything up and adjusted it. Now its really getting on my nerves.

I think I'd better take it apart first before ordering any parts.

hi, go to the dark side, do what ford did, fit a Disco handbrake, its fully cable operated, no idiot linkages to seize up, biggest prob will be to get hold of a td5 handbrake lever, but you will never look back, fitted mine 6 yrs ago it still holds up on the great Orme Road, Llandudno....unlike the rod system with every pivot point that seizes has too much play, that would struggle to hold it on a 1/100 incline...(Its steep on a Rail way)  its  easy to maintain at peak efficiency , think my MOT man recommended a 1/4 turn (.25), but after a session in our local boozer he admitted that an 1;8  would be more than enough...(.0125) have included metric conversion to comply with EU disability rules////

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good look at it over the weekend. As a few of you said, It turned out to be the expander mechanism sticking. The shoes and drum were a bit worn, but after everything was cleaned, put back and adjusted it all works fine.

Thanks to you all for the help and advice - it saved me a few quid on parts.

• Like 2