Tyre/wheel question...

A friend has a 90 with LR genuine original 10 year old wheels.

Since putting my AT's on he's wondering what tyres could go on his original rims....

The old tyres only show 205R16

Would these rims potentially take BFG AT's 235/85R16 ?

(Or anyone got a deal going on AT's with rims ?)

Thanks in advance.. Again !

The old chestnut 235/85R16 onto 5.5" rims again :rolleyes:

Yes they will fit and yes they will be fine, no you are not supposed to (minimum rim size for 235/85R16 is supposed to be 6in wide) and therefore your insurers might find it a convenient excuse at some point in the future if something happens.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the old rims are tube type which means you MUST fit a tube as there is no retaining hump to hold the tubeless bead on, and you can have problems with some tubeless tyres chafing the inner tubes through and causing "phantom punctures". Sometimes BFGs do this and sometimes they don't.

If you want MT's your best bet would be something like General Super All Grip crossplies which are one of the few tube type tyres you can still buy.

I'd use that as an excuse to get new rims as well if it were me :)

A friend has a 90 with LR genuine original 10 year old wheels.

Since putting my AT's on he's wondering what tyres could go on his original rims....

The old tyres only show 205R16

Would these rims potentially take BFG AT's 235/85R16 ?

(Or anyone got a deal going on AT's with rims ?)

Thanks in advance.. Again !

Yup, did exactly the same, I got 5x 235/85/16's on black modulars delivered for a shade under £400 beginning of this year. (Direct from the Colway factory in Langley Park, Durham)

Admittedly they are Colways AT's (with a 'similar' pattern to the BFG's), and I have used his brand for several years without problem.

at.jpg

all as above, they will go but you should fit 235 to 6" as aforementioned. you may have tube problems and i dare say the rims prob need some work to smarten up if that old. aleviate all problems and go for modulars and BFG AT 235/85s or even wolf rims if you wish to maintain a closer std LR look. i personally wouldnt put 235s on 5.5J rim.