Information required - Td5 Injector loom O-rings

V8 Freak

Hi all,

I've been in discussion with someone who is suggesting that the oil transferring from the engine into the main ECU loom is as a result of the injector loom o-rings getting hot, compressing and effectively letting oil past.

They suggest getting the equivalent Viton o-rings are good to 200 degrees C and will not be affected by the temperatures and thus, should not leak... 

Hopefully this will mean and end to oil in my seat box and red ECU plug......

Fact or fiction.... I'm happy to find out....

Can anyone advise either Viton part number or internal dimensions and thickness of the o-rings so I can seek the equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

I dunno but his information has been bang on so far. His suggestion was oil travelling along the loom, but I guess on the outside of the wiring and within the protective loom covering.

Hence my fact or fiction comment because I thought it went inside the wiring as you comment.

But... That means it jumps across the loom connection as it exits the head and then forces itself back into the wires once again!

Any more views / facts?

I think the oil enters on the plug that sits face down in the head drivers side front. I'd struggle to be convinced that the oil enters at the actual injector connectors and wicks up around and down.

The O ring comment is confusing, there are only the 2 o rings as shown in the tech archive on the same plug and if they fail the oil will go down the outside, not down the wires. The only other O rings are the ones on the injectors, and he can't be talking about them.

It's reputed that a perm fix is to cut the loom on the outside say 2" from the plug as it goes into the rocker cover and then just reconnect with solder. The solder basically stops the wicking effect of the wire and the oil goes no further than the join.

Ok.. I think I can see what Simon is talking about when you look at the plug design and the role of the O-rings...

Look at the picture below;

IMG_6182.JPG

This is the Injector loom / top part of the injector loom joint that is inside the TD5 head.

If the oil gets past the o-rings it gets into the bottom section of the joint and pools there.... With temperature and time, the oil enters the main loom and wicks it's way along to the ECU plug over time.

If these o-rings do not compress / age / crack and ultimately leak, no oil can get to the main loom...

The pins of the connection are in the top part and these should not leak / let oil through.

The picture below is a 2 year old loom.... No evidence of oil around the pins at all.

IMG_6184.JPG

I think we have a winner...... Now to find me some Viton o-rings.

For information... Inner Diameter 25mm and 2.5mm thickness.

Neil

EDIT: Went to fit the O-rings today and they were too big !

The loom currently fitted must have a different external design to the one I measured against !

The current one is 24mm ID and 3mm cross section o-rings....

Might pay for anyone wishing to switch to Viton o-rings to check what their loom needs.

Edited by V8 Freak
Added additional information