GEMMER 6 Bolt PAS box

hi. i have a 6Bolt pas box and lately i have LOTS of play in the steering,  i have repaired a failure on the input shaft  i had no power steering to my left side  only to the right  i solved that,  now the play is almost half of the steering wheel   is there any known fix to this? ( the bolt on the top of the pas box is tightened  allmost to the end) i opened the box and dont see any extensive wear to the scroll gears , at first sight i have a 2mm "gap" where the 2 gears meet. and i think my output shaft scroll is a bit loose   any help?
19021310_10203093470855522_581060715_n.jpg?oh=94cb5a6dbfdd5e1ff64a6eff536b258f&oe=593BDCC1

Solution replace the 6 bolt box with a new or reconditioned 4 bolt Box (that is what I did as 6 bolts are obsolete and no longer made which makes reconditioning more difficult where as the 4 bolts are still manufactured by Adwest)
(you need to change the steering arm as well for this conversion)

The 6-bolts are heavy-duty (as fitted to 127/130) and the 4-bolts are "light duty" (according to the parts book) so it depends what it's on, I'm a little wary of replacing the 6-bolt on the ambulance with anything "light duty" lest I have to explain to a policeman why my steering failed and I hit the proverbial busload of nuns...

I picked up a spare 6-bolt at Sodbury for £10 so they are around.

• Like 1

Looking at parts book I see nothing about "light duty" only "lightweight" and the 6 bolt unit does weigh more or it could mean the weight feel of the steering, but it does seem that Landrover did stop using 6 bolts for some reason (may be because they were not as good?)

I don't know what the backlash is for those boxes but it must be relatively tight, does the play of the input shaft relate to the gap you can see, if so there isn't an adjustment for that kind of looseness, its just down to wear of components.

I tried to find a new main sector shaft, but no joy at all in finding any spares for the 6 bolt.

Considering they've fit the 4 bolt type to every recent iteration of Defender for the past heaven know how many years, including hi-caps, 130's etc etc, I doubt there is need to worry about the "duty" of the units.

Having said that Hobsons are still selling them at a somewhat exuberant price...

https://hobsonlandroverparts.com/collections/defender-90-and-110-parts-steering/products/ntc1582

all the bearings and seals are new, is there anyplace where i can buy some pas boxes? if i could find one with no play but with a fault on the power steering ( only powered for one side)  it would be great,  this problem is fairly ease to solve and i could repair it myself, the general idea is to maintain a 6 bolt gemmer  ( i´m Portuguese  so sorry for  bad english )