stock rover axle test

callum

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531400

bobby of longfield tested to ddestruction a rover 24 spline shaft and cv setup today on a big machine to see how it compared in strngth to new rover longfield setup.

some figures and stuff there and pics :D right down at the bottom

a figure of $650 to buy a set of longfields was bandied about a while back, which makes it pretty good value given the exchange rate. not sure if that held maybe check out rovertracks or something to see if they have any further info.

alas seems i cant attach the pic here, tis in the link anyway

That was the only option with a stock 24 spline shaft though so I guess its fair. Would be interesting to see it run with an aftermarket 24/23 shaft and different CVs but then Dave has already done that.

Interesting reading, but I doubt my 200Tdi could mangage 3000lb/ft of torque to do thar sort of damaged.

In that test, I suspect the load was applied in a steady manner. Which is fair enough, for comparing one axle/cv to another to determine if you have made an improvement.

In the real off road world, failures are often due to fatigue or impact loads. To avoid these, you need a substantial safety margin based upon static strength. Numerous failures of rover 33 spline cv's/axles are testimony of that.

that looks very much like a 32-24 spline CV

IE the smallest weakest available.

Ashcroft have their own test rig which was excellent to watch in action

i thuink that's because it is the stock setup with north american defenders. and thus that is the cv they offer. i think they decided against an aeu 2522 copy because it was never sold there and the market therefore is uncertain. i'm sure there's another thread there detailing why they decided to make those cv's.

if its the same rig used by longfield a while back to test various stock and aftermarket setups it might provide some context.

here's the table, the formatting will probably not work very well. i'm sure many of you have seen it before anyway.

Stock Toyota Birfield, 27 spline ................ 3,700 ft-lbs

Toyota Birf Eliminator kit ...................... 4,020 ft-lbs

Stock Toyota inner axle, 27 spline .............. 4,360 ft-lbs

Pigs 4340 Toyota inner axle, 27 spline .......... 4,700 ft-lbs

Longfield stock treated Toyota birf, 27 spline .. 4,800 ft-lbs

Superior 4340 Toyota inner axle, 27 spline ...... 5,200 ft-lbs

Longfield 4340 Toyota inner axle, 27 spline ..... 6,820 ft-lbs

Yukon 4340 Dana 44 inner axle, 30 spline ........ 7,900 ft-lbs

Longfield 4340 Toyota inner axle, 30 spline ..... 8,200 ft-lbs

Longfield 4340 birfield stub failure ............ 8,200 ft-lbs

Stock Dana 60 inner axle, 35 spline (used) ...... 8,300 ft-lbs

Stock Dana 60 inner axle, 35 spline (new) ....... 8,320 ft-lbs

Stock Birfield= 3,700 ft lbs

Birf Eliminator kit= 4,020 ft lbs

Stock inner shaft= 4,360 ft lbs

Longfield stock treated birf= 4,800 ft lbs

Superior 27 spline 4340 chromo inner axle= 5,200 ft. lbs

Longfield 27 spline 4340 chromo inner axle= 6,820 ft. lbs

Yukon 4340 Dana 44 inner axle 30 spline= 7900 ft. lbs.

Longfield 30 spline 4340 chromo inner axle= 8,200 ft. lbs

Longfield 4340 birfield stub failure= 8,200 ft. lbs

Stock Dana 60 35 spline= 8,300 ft. lbs

All the birfs are tested at about 35 Degrees the NEW 4340 chromoly FJ80s test the same as the mini truck both stub shafts are 30 spline broke around 8200 ft. lbs.

................................... ft lbs ** degree** inner axle used **failure

stock toy birf....................3700..........30........lo ng 4340........birf expolded.

randys birf elimn kit.............5000...........40.........randys.. ........ujoint broke

long treated oem birf............5100..........45.........long 4340.........stub broke

newfield 27 spline 4340 birf.... 7000..........80.......300m........inner axle broke

longfield 27 spline 4340 birf....7000...........80.......300m........inner axle broke

longfield 30 spline birf............8900.......120.........4340....... . inner axle broke

stock toy 27 spline inner axle.............4000........20................... ..axle broke

stock dana 44 30 spline inner............ 5200........25.....................ears broke

pig toy 27 spline 4340 inner...............5500........90................ ...axle broke

yukon dana 44 30 spline 4340 inner.....5800........48....................yoke broke

longfield toy 27 spline 4340 inner........6500........80......................a xle broke

stock dana 60 35 spline stub..............8300........80.................. ...ears broke

yukon dana 60 35 spline 4340 stub.... 12000........90...................shaft broke

from test yesterday of rover setup
Well, a couple of guys and I got a chance to break a Rover shaft and CV today. It broke the inner shaft at 3000 foot pounds of torque and the inner race at 45 degrees of twist. We turned the birf full turn in the machine like all the other birfs we test. I'm really surprised how weak they really are. We were not expecting it to brake that soon. Our 4340 chromoly 27 spline Rover shafts and CVs, just liek teh 27 spline Toyotas, break around 6500 foot pounds of torque and 80 degrees of twist.

a figure of $650 to buy a set of longfields was bandied about a while back, which makes it pretty good value given the exchange rate. not sure if that held maybe check out rovertracks or something to see if they have any further info.

Add tax and carridge and it won't be much cheaper than Ashcrofts setup. Strange that until recently Longfields had no interest in making LR replacment CVs. :ph34r:

Add tax and carridge and it won't be much cheaper than Ashcrofts setup. Strange that until recently Longfields had no interest in making LR replacment CVs. :ph34r:

$660 from rovertacks

the figure includes shafts though

ashcrofts are £425 for cv's then £235 for shafts, then they have vat to be added as well

today for the longfield stuff that makes it £337.33 +shipping + tax and a lifetime replacement warranty is included.

trying not to get too much into it, but 30% is an average figure for import tax and duty, £60 for shipping (maybe more)

ashcorfts including tax £775.50

longfield on your doorstep £500 (or bring em back in your luggage :P)

figures are rough, but it is a fair saving. make of it what you will, certainly sucks to be an exporter to the us at the moment and is quite nice to deal with experts on the same side of the ocean as you. can get 2522 setup from ashcrofts too.

Interesting reading, but I doubt my 200Tdi could mangage 3000lb/ft of torque to do thar sort of damaged.

Ummmmm

188 lb-ft at engine * 3.692 (gearbox) * 3.32 (transfer) * 3.54 (Axle) = 8157 lb-ft with all torque to one wheel. Not extremely difficult to reach 3000 with a locker engaged.

Ummmmm

188 lb-ft at engine * 3.692 (gearbox) * 3.32 (transfer) * 3.54 (Axle) = 8157 lb-ft with all torque to one wheel. Not extremely difficult to reach 3000 with a locker engaged.

Don't have lockers, so I shan't worry to much about busting a CV plus I don't do challenges/comp safari's in my 110.