P38 EAS weirdness

JohnnoK

OK, I officially need serious help now. I am so far out of my depth it's not funny....

I have returned my P38 to airbags using all the bits (except ECU, delay relay and rocker switch) from a known good donor vehicle.

From here...http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/airsuspension/faultclearsoftware.html
I made up the cable and hooked up the PC to run the freeware and it revealed a litany of errors. icon_question.gif
F8 = 69
F9 = 227
FA = 213
FB = 0
FC = 255
FL signal incorrect
FR signal incorrect
RR signal incorrect
Engine speed fault
Vehicle speed fault
Air supply leak
Target heights incorrect
Vehicle has moved
Cannot lower FR
Cannot lower FL
FA:16_Hidden
FA:64_hidden
FL valve stuck closed
FR   ditto
RL   ditto
RR   ditto
Inlet valve stuck closed
Exhaust valve stuck closed
FC:64_hidden
FC:128_hidden
The thing is, each time I run the program, it has different errors.icon_e_surprised.gif

When I read the heights, I get
HIGH Profile: FL = 0, FR = 6, RL = 0, RR = 14
STANDARD Profile: FL = 0, FR = 0, RL = 0, RR = 247
LOW profile: 0, 0, 0, 14
ACCESS Profile: 0, 0, 0, 247
and, if I do them again, they are different again....icon_frown.gif

When I  "get sensor heights"
LF = 128, RF = 40, LR = 128, RR = 40
and, if I do them again, they are different again....icon_e_confused.gif

As for the " Cannot lower FL and FR in the errors, I set sail to town this morning to buy the bits for the cable and having manually inflated the old girl to approximately level, I plugged the valve body and compressor in, turned the key to start it and, as soon as it started, it dropped the front onto the bump stops. I limped to a service station, inflated the front again and as soon as I started it, back on the stops.....
I unplugged it all, inflated it again and ran my errands, came home and got the errors above when I fired the PC up.....

So, where do I even start debugging this shambles?

elbekko,

Thanks for the response, I have checked the cable and it has good solder joints with heat shrink sleeving, so I am confident that side of things is OK. Another forum suggested I check the OBD connector in the car, so that is on the cards for next up.

Sounds like the thing is generating a flood of errors, overflowing the mem bank.

Without seeing and talking to the computers, it is going to be difficult.

Bon Courage !!

On 10/18/2017 at 10:05 AM, elbekko said:

If this isn't green, it doesn't matter how good your cable is, your responses will be junk:

image.png.05dbf8f1252687f29e4eb391e48304ea.png

From memory you want a steady stream of FF/00 responses, if you're getting other things you'll get very weird results.

Ah! Thank you! It isn't green... it shows " No-Idle" even though the engine is running,  and the challenge and responses are something like this..

TX                                                        RX

3247 : 1                                            3371 : 80

3248 : FF                                          3372 : 28

3249 : 1                                            3373 : 80

alternating each line...

OK, so I unplugged and cleaned all the connectors with Wurth Kontact Oxidation Remover and reconnected it all.

I did find oxidation and dampness in the multiplug in the driver's footwell area where the inertia switch lives, so all

that lot god a goodly squirt of the cleaning muti.

Will see on the morrow what it has delivered.

Will also revisit my cable and it's connections with the soldering iron and multimeter to ensure goodness there, too.

You need to change the com-port in the RSW software, ideally you should re-start the software everytime you change the com port to ensure you clear the errant communication out the buffer.

Had this problem a few times on both the RRC and P38

I went out and bought a pre-made cable and tried again, with weird results....

The Tx/Rx windows was normal on the Tx side, but the Rx only showed FF once or twice,  not a successive string in response to the Tx.

The status window went from No-Idle to blank, but was still RED background.

I am back at work overseas now, so it has all been put on hold until I get home again..

Thanks to all the suggestions so far!

elbekko,

No, straight into the serial port of my Dell Inspiron All-in-One PC.

I was going to buy a USB adapter, but when I discovered the serial port, that got shelved.

I had read that the Serial - USB adapters could cause trouble if they weren't good quality.

20 hours ago, elbekko said:

Yes, that's why I asked. Must be in the car then. You've already cleaned the connector in the kick panel?

Do you refer to the connector (in a Right hand drive) behind the panel at my right foot where the bonnet catch is? It covers the roll-over inertia switch and 2 other connectors, one of which is around 16 wires?

That bigger one had signs of corrosion on the terminals and was given a squirt of Wurth Kontakt OL which is apparently a corrosion remover, along with all others while I was in there. The next connection of the PC and software run was also weird, because the Tx/Rx issue appeared then. 

The fault page didn't show anything with the run, but I don't know if that is bad or a sign that i finally got something right....:unsure:

Yes, that's the connector I mean.

The only time you should see the Tx responses change is if you're actually triggering an action (reading faults, sending to height, etc). If it's still not stable, I wouldn't trust anything you see in the application.

Mmmm, I think that connector may be my issue, then.

Before I messed with it, it was reading all over the show, but afterwards, it was even worse.

Oh well, I am away from the car until end November, so until I can get back to clean the connector again, it's all on hold.