Valve stem seals

jordan_meakin

So, my 2 1/4 petrol is a bit smokey on blipping the accelerator. It's developed over the last 18 months and is using oil. It does it hot or cold. I have done a compression test which is good and consistent over the four cylinders. Are the stem seals a likely cause? Next question, is it a ball ache to replace? I've never really delved into engine mechanics beyond changing cam belts on Volvos but happy to try...

Not that hard, head off is pretty simple, just be methodical. Actually a workshop manual will cover this pretty well for your purposes.

Once off, it would be worth replacing the guides for the extra cost, and measuring up the valves to make sure they are within tolerances as well.

If it has not yet been converted to run unleaded  (hardened valve seats) you could get that done at the same time, for little outlay.

Any decent machine shop can do all the above very cheaply.

Stem seals can then be put on your nice new guides and you can be sure of a good seal then :) 

With head still on you can use an adaptor to connect an airline into a sparkplug hole to pressurise the cylinder so the valves won't drop down when you remove the springs.  Then you can change the seals in-situ.  Make sure the piston in the cylinder you're working on is at BDC before starting work.

You will have to make/get a spring compressor that levers against a rocker pedestal stud.

True ^^ I have used the rope method before as well, and old spanners to release the valve collets.

However, in my experience seals are rarely the fix, and guides are often worn cause the valve to flop about thereby allowing oil down the guide anyways...