4.1 Ratio diffs - 24 spline?

5 minutes ago, Red90 said:

The diffs and the ring and pinion gearing are separate things that are not related.

4.1 ring and pinions are available from aftermarket suppliers.  They were never supplied from the factory.

Thanks Red90,

Someone had led me to believe that 4.1's were fitted in some MOD ambulances, obviously that was misleading.

Thanks for your help

Umm, not entirely sure what you are asking there.

But... the 24 spline diff carrier that looks like this:

1415.JPG

Can have any of the available ratios bolted to it, the crown wheel comes off with ~10 bolts, and the pinion comes out with a big nut, new bearings and set it up and be done.

It is not a particularly easy job if you are not experienced, and for that reason you may want to look at getting a pair of diffs built up for you, and drop them in and done.

Why do you need to fix the gearing? 

Aftermarket 4.1 CW&P are a direct replacement, and much stronger.

Some old Rover cars had a 4.1 CW&P that fits with a spacer, but they're really not strong enough, and aren't easy to find. I recently discovered one on an ARB locker I took to Nigel. Looked so close to a standard 3.54 that even Nige mistook it for one at first!

I can recommend Xcess 4x4 for diffs (Nige, Hedghog_from_Hell on here). He's got a wealth of knowledge to see you right ;)

On 1-11-2017 at 2:44 PM, Cliffordtdi said:

Thanks Red90,

Someone had led me to believe that 4.1's were fitted in some MOD ambulances, obviously that was misleading.

Thanks for your help

Could it be that the person informing you was mistaken with 1.4 to 1 ratio in the transfer box ?

That would make sence for a heavily equipped ambulance.

BTW that might solve your problem too , , , , , , , , , , , ,   I've had several ratios in the LT230 fitted in my 88" last year and it really makes a huge difference going from 1.2:1 to either 1.4:1 or 1.003:1