Possible immobiliser issue

Steve Warman

Hi,

I'm sure this has been done to death but I need some help in finding a fault potentially with the immobiliser.

I went out in my Disco 300tdi ES, MY1996 (N reg) yesterday and got to a petrol station without issue. Stopped off and done what I needed to do in the Tescos and came back out.

The 2 button fob unlocked the car as normal and I put the key in the ignition, the lights came on as usual but when I turned the key to start her up I got nothing except a click of a relay somewhere.

The only indication I have of an issue is that when I lock the disco the alarm light rapidly flashes for around 10 seconds then goes back to normal speed flashes.

I've taken the battery out, charged it up and gone back to fit it in with no joy, same issue, and tried both sets of keys.

I've also tried the EKA code although bearing in mind how old it is I'm not sure it registered the turns very much.

I've called out a recovery service to pick the car up but where can I start looking for the issue?

The annoying thing is that the disco was fine up until yesterday

As a starting point, i'd pull the small trigger lead off the starter and check with a multi meter that you're getting 12v when the key is turned to crank, it could simply be a failed starter.

Is it manual? You could bump start it to get it home.

They were known for issues, particularly with the "spider" unit in behind the stereo, you used to be able to get a bypass, don't know if they're still available. 

Hope that helps

Rapid flashing of the red led isn't an issue, what makes you think it is?

As soon as u unlock with the fob u should be remobilised therefore u can gen the vehicle and start the engine, if there a delay in doing that after a short time the system will immobilise the engine indicated by the flashing key simbol in the dash, placing the fob near the ign switch will remobilise the engine again.

As for a clicking relay if the was immobilised there would silence when tuning the key in the switch, so it the click is the starter relay clicking so do as stated in the post above, or with a piece of wire connect 12v to  the starter solenoid .

if you have  an auto the EDC pump will also be controlled by the immobiliser.

So it's an auto and now back after a short trip on a low loader

I had thought that the rapid flashing was an indicator that there may be a problem as it's not normal and I had read a post on a different forum about this showing a potential problem with the fob battery 

I don't think it has a spider after some searching around on a previous issue where a fuse kept blowing so I'll have a look at the starter motor 

39 minutes ago, Steve Warman said:

I had thought that the rapid flashing was an indicator that there may be a problem as it's not normal and I had read a post on a different forum about this showing a potential problem with the fob battery 

Too bad, it's a good move to read at least the owner's handbook , here's the relevant part from it:

Anti-theft alarm indicator light
After locking, the RED indicator light on the
instrument panel will flash rapidly while the
alarm system is arming itself.
After 10 seconds, the indicator light adjusts to
a slower frequency, and continues flashing as
an anti-theft deterrent until such a time as the
alarm is disarmed.

On 11/11/2017 at 10:16 AM, sierrafery said:

Too bad, it's a good move to read at least the owner's handbook , here's the relevant part from it:

Anti-theft alarm indicator light
After locking, the RED indicator light on the
instrument panel will flash rapidly while the
alarm system is arming itself.
After 10 seconds, the indicator light adjusts to
a slower frequency, and continues flashing as
an anti-theft deterrent until such a time as the
alarm is disarmed.

Yeah, unfortunately, I was in a petrol station, in the dark and seeing what could be done via a mobile phone