Any ideas

Hi all , just finished my shift at 10.15 tonight went out to the motor turned the key all the lights came on turned it to start her she tried then went dead , tried again nothing didn’t even turn over . So thought the starter motor might be stuck , but could her a whering sound from the engine bay opened the bonnet and the turbo was spinning fast the after a while it stopped , I did give the starter a tap then after a few more tries she started . She ran fine but on tick over I could hear something that was spinning rattling like it wasn’t spinning true , but when I accelerated the rattling went . I did the 10 mile journey home slowly trying not to boost to much on the turbo , came home no problem, egt gauge normal , no overheating,  no burning smells and no smoke that I could see in the dark . So I’m thinking that my turbo might be knackered or on the way out , but wondered if anyone has any other ideas or thoughts on what might have caused this ? 

Any help will be much appreciated cheers Ian 

Sorry forgot to say it’s a 200tdi 110 last night , so put her in the shed this morning she started ok ran fine no rattle on idle , took the turbo to air filter pipe off and there’s no play in the turbo . Only thing I did notice is a bit of oil around the turbo were the pipe to the intercooler fits and the pipe to the fuel pump which wasn’t there the other day as I had the pipes off to do something else. Will strip the rest of the pipes off tomorrow as I need to get ready for work now . The puzzling thing is why the turbo was spinning when the engine hadn’t started , I thought at 1st that the heater blower was stuck on at full chat . So perhaps it is the starter motor on the way out, how long do they last mines about 2/3 years old but only been used daily for about 12 months ?

cheers Ian 

Sounds like maybe the starter was sticking engaged with flywheel slightly (horrid grating sound)  or the starter solenoid hadn't switched off entirely, meaning it still span, but not engaged.

Could be solenoid, starter relay or ignition switch in these cases.

I think the turbo spinning issue is not related -how did you know it was spinning without removing a hose?

Put my hand on the top and I could feel it vibrating it was spinning at quite a speed , and I couldn’t think of anything else it could be. I did fit that electric lift pump over Christmas but I pulled the power wire out of that to rule that out. The noise it was making sounded more like a washer in a can than a grating sound .

200tdi it turned over when I first turned the key but failed to start , then wouldn’t turn over after the first attempt . But thinking about it if the solenoid on the starter stuck after the first attempt to start her would that make a noise like something spinning and would it make a slight vibration on the engine, enough to make me think it was the turbo. 

Ah yes, you did say in your second post - I missed it, sorry.

The fact that you gave the starter a tap then it worked makes me think Bowie is right in terms of the starter solenoid, and the noise you could hear was the motor spinning while it was not engaged with engine. The turbo is red herring in my opinion.

No probs , that’s  my thoughts after she started ok today and ran fine and like you said can’t understand how the turbo can spin when the engine hasn’t run . Didn’t realise the solenoid could make that much racket when it stuck or vibrate the engine like that. Seems like panic over . Are old starter motors worth refurbishing? I know you can replace the solenoid is there any other parts that you should replace ?

cheers Ian 

The one that was on was a bearmach job and only had 12 months use,  so do the Bosch/Valeo  ones last any longer ? As I’ve found somewhere that does them for £190 which I think is a good price , they also do waxstat thermostats £5.

cheers Ian 

Many thanks all , remembered earlier we’ve got a auto electrical place in Stoke Bowers so will ring them in the morning I had a starter motor for the td5 off them a while back and that’s been fine so will get a new one then strip and clean the old one and keep it as a spare .

cheers Ian