Insurance Saga

Mutley

I did tell you to GRAB A COFFE!

Well that hated time of year has come round all too quickly again!......The Motor Insurance Renewal!

Now me I am with Footman James on Classic Car insurance. Why? Because it was cheap and I have no money (married, horse, dogs, oh a LR the usual drain on the pittance I earn), anyhow a couple of years ago I noticed that they were doing an AGREED Value, which appealed to me as the Defender production was at an end. After enquiring I went with an agreed value of £5000 for my 300Tdi Defender 90 (van type), this was without photos or reports needed from clubs, simple? The usual any mods to the vehicle question asked, and I answer! This only added £8 to the premium so seemed a no brainer for peace of mind. The following year I upped the value to £6000 with no issues!

Then we get to this year 2018!!!.......... And I thinks maybe I should up the value a bit more as sadly the Defender breeding programme has been a complete failure and should the worst ever happen, replacing like for like want be cheap!?!..... Yes I could buy a cheap battered example and rebuild it in time, but time I don’t have! So the replacement would need to be in good shape (still happy to go for another 300Tdi). I called FJ and informed them that I would like to increase the agreed value figure, no problem how much? I asked what was the maximum I could go? What ever you like but go too high and we need photos and reports! OK what’s too high? Not telling you! Or you will come in £20 under! (Fare point! He weren’t wrong!) Hmmm £8000 I says. Hold the line I’ll check.........Yes that’s fine! Great me thinks and it only puts the renewal price up by a few quid, just have to tell my financial adviser (Wifey) and get her to OK it I tell him.

Wifey agrees, god bless her!... And the following day I call FJ back. Lass on the phone just wants to check a few details then we will be sorted. Easy innit!?! Like ******* Hell was it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any MODs to the vehicle other than blab la bla? Me, oh wait you forgot the light bar and Rock Sliders! OH! She exclaims, you didn’t mention them before! I did! Well it’s not down here! I’ll have to recheck the quote now!.........When she comes back it’s gone up £50!!!!!!!! And so had my temper!!!!!! I suggested she might want to pause the recording machine at this point, as I feared it would scare some of the employees when used for Training purposes!!!  Out come was, I’ll look round!!!

Well after many phone calls to other classic car insurance companies, yes they will do an AGREED Value! But you HAVE to send photos!!!..........My contention is I don’t want some spotty oik sat in an office telling me that my motor isn’t worth £8000 just by looking at photos (and to be honest it probably isn’t!.... But I would be hard pushed to replace it for less!) So back to FJ I go having decided to bite the bullet and go with the hassle free AGRRED VALUE with extra MOD costs GRRRRRRRR!

New/different lass answers the phone, I explain what it is I want , she replies I am just checking your notes (from previous phone conversations). Then asks if I still want the £8000 agreed value? Yes I says, Hmmm she ‘s noticed that the light bar and ROCK SLIDERS had increased the original quote somewhat. I explain that this is a sore point! As I have always been open and honest about what has been done to the motor! I did say that I had mentioned these MODs over the years, but whether they had NOT noted  them properly and I had NOT noticed they were NOT included on the paper work may well be the case!?!.........Well fare play THIS lass is a bit more sympathetic to my cause and tells me she will try and sort the issue as it DOES seem a bit harsh! 2 mins later she’s back and exclaims having read further back on my FILE it WOULD appear that there was mention of ROCK SLIDERS back in 2015! So she will go away and check what price she can get with the underwriters and call me back.

15 mins. and she’s back on the phone (Good girl!)...........And she has managed to lose £45 off the amended quote, but very apologetic that she couldn’t reduce it anymore!....... For me it was a result and I was more than happy, if only due to the fact that this lass was bothered enough to check/read all the notes and see that I HAD stated Rock Sliders as a MOD previously!!! Up shot is my 1995 Defender 300Tdi is again insured with a now AGREED Value of £8000 without the need for photos or reports!!!

Good result & top marks for the young lady to go & find out from their records, my 110 is with NFU on an agreed value & thats after the galv chassis change in 2013 & conversion of rear axle to disc brakes, my premium only went up by 26 quid which was quite acceptable to me.