06' LR3: Vibration while accelerating

rsm

I am new to this forum as well as Land Rover and I am enjoying reading/learning from you all on this website.

I am here in search of a possible solution to a problem with my LR3: It has 4500 miles on it and I have begun noticing that when on the highway, at speeds of 60-70 mph, a very noticeable vibration/rumble from what seems like the transmission or front axle area. It only happens when gently accelerating and then as I step harder on the pedal the vibration goes away. I feel it more in the pedal than I do the steering wheel. Otherwise the vehicle is a joy to own and drive and I am very happy with it in all repsects except for this one annoying trait.

Has anyone else exprerienced this strange occurence?

Many Thanks.

are you running the same wheels or have you gone for a bigger size. Other things to check are standard things like balancing, front prop shafts on both sides etc.

If it happens all the time just take it in and get a tech to sit by you on a test run.

Cheers

Steve

are you running the same wheels or have you gone for a bigger size. Other things to check are standard things like balancing, front prop shafts on both sides etc.

If it happens all the time just take it in and get a tech to sit by you on a test run.

Cheers

Steve

Steve:

Thanks for your reply. No, it has stock 19" wheels (HSE). I plan to get the tech to ride with me next week, but i want to go in armed with as much knowledge as possible beforehand. I am in Tampa, so getting a good tech may be a pig in a poke. My fear is that I will have more problems after the "experts" perform their craft, so I go in with much trepidation.

Robert

If it were and older model (mine for example!) I might suggest that it sounds like a propeller shaft universal joint needs replacing or that a propeller shaft has thrown a balance weight. It would seem unlikely on such a new vehicle though - although not impossible.

Chris

If it were and older model (mine for example!) I might suggest that it sounds like a propeller shaft universal joint needs replacing or that a propeller shaft has thrown a balance weight. It would seem unlikely on such a new vehicle though - although not impossible.

Chris

Disco3/LR3 uses CV joints on the props and they are pretty bomb proof in my experience. I have seen a similar problem on Disco/LR3 before and it was just one of the three bolts holding the pedal assembly to the bulkhead had come loose, but as it can be felt from the steering wheel as well i would suggest loss of a balance weight on a road wheel.

As the vehicle is still in manufacturers warrantee just take it in to a dealership and let them deal with it

Lewis :)

i had something like it on my 2003 L322. not a very strong vibration but there. thought front diff, prop i dont know what. just changed to winter tires, newly balanced, problem gone. balancing the front wheels would be worth a try i woujld think :rolleyes:

front propshaft for a L322 is only 65 aquid from paddocks btw (even cheaper than for my RRC) , so checking with them for parts is worth a try before the main stealer wants to charge more :D

Guest diesel_jim
As the vehicle is still in manufacturers warrantee just take it in to a dealership and let them deal with it

Lewis :)

knowing the quality of LR customer service it'll be "ah, they all do that sir" :angry:

Update:

Vehicle has been at the dealer all day, tech rode with me and experienced the problem. At the end of the day they don't know what the problem is. Hope this is not the beginnig of a nightmare.

Had the problem with the RR sport. same car anyway. The problem felt like a prop uj gone. But in fact Land Rover Know about it and it is a Ecu ungrade needed to fix it . It is to do with the ECU and the balance of the flywheel or somthing like that. But if the dealer does not belive you then phone up Land Rover tech department. Well know problem with the software and easy for the dealership to do. Had two here in Aus that we had to sort out while i was working at the dealership.