Any problems resulting from blanking EGR on a TD5

AgedMechanic

Hi, can anybody advise if there are any problems likely with the "new" MOT emissions requirements resulting from the removal of the EGR valve and its associated clutter? I'm asking as I need to switch to an auto box due to advancing arthritus in my left knee and don't want to be confronted with the cost of reinstating the EGR for it's next MOT.

Many thanks for your help.

Just had a look at the new rules on the GOV website and the wording there is "There will be stricter limits for emissions from diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter (DPF)."

I'm not sure if the EGR on the Td5 counts as a DPF too (I don't think it does).  If it doesn't then removing it shouldn't cause any problems.

This is the site I got the info from:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

I did some looking into this recently and I am afraid that I couldn't find a definitive answer, so I thought I would remove the valve but leave the rest of the gubbins there but blanked off, so since the actual valve is under the sound deadening on a Disco TD5, everything looks normal.

But - I have kept the valve in case I need to put it back...

Sorry I couldn't give a straight yes or no - hopefully somebody else will and then we will both know.

Roger

The wording is summed up quite nicely by:

"Any modifications to/removal of emissions related devices - this includes DPF'S and EGR's - is now a major fail." 

It might be covered from the top by a plastic cover, but I bet you can still see it from the underneath. Yes, this is a fail. It all depends on how thorough and observant the mot man is really, though. 

Serious oil leaks are also a major fail, which I bet will catch more than one inattentive landy owner out, as is dirty brake fluid. 

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

The wording is summed up quite nicely by:

"Any modifications to/removal of emissions related devices - this includes DPF'S and EGR's - is now a major fail." 

It might be covered from the top by a plastic cover, but I bet you can still see it from the underneath. Yes, this is a fail. It all depends on how thorough and observant the mot man is really, though. 

Serious oil leaks are also a major fail, which I bet will catch more than one inattentive landy owner out, as is dirty brake fluid. 

Good job I kept the valve then!

Thanks for your replies folks, you've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking although when I asked my mechanic he didn't raise any objection to the vehicle having been modified. It rather looks like I'm going to be looking for a siginificant drop in the price of this one or an unmodified TD5 auto motor. All in all it may be easier to look at a knee replacement instead which offers more than a vehicle with no clutch pedal!

Again, thanks  to you all.

Edited by AgedMechanic
typo