Electrickery

Mo Murphy

IIRC sinlge throw is a normal 2 position on/off switch, double throw is a 3 position off/on/on or on/off/on switch, don't recall what sinlge & double pole is for.

That's the easy bit!

Single pole - the switch acts on only one side of the circuit, eg only the Positive.

Double pole - disconnect both the Pos and the Neg at the same time.

Matt

Thanks guys but why would you need to switch the negative side of a circuit as well ? What sort of things would you work like that. No wonder it's called electrickery !

Mo

These can also be used to control two devices that need separate feeds but need to be switched together for some reason - although I can't think of any such application on a vehicle...

Rog

These can also be used to control two devices that need separate feeds but need to be switched together for some reason - although I can't think of any such application on a vehicle...

Rog

We had somebody in at work the other day wanting a switch for a Range Rover, one of them which switches on the wipers and the headlights at the same time, you know the ones. After patiently explaining there was no such thing, "why", "because it isn't always dark when it is raining, and it isn't always raining when it's dark" he went away again empty handed....

I guess that would be a suitable application for a DP switch :D:blink:

Rog

A double pole arrangement can be found in the hazard switch. This connects the left & right indicators together in the 'hazard' position, but keeps them seperate for normal use.

Guest diesel_jim

You could also use a double pole switch to isolate 2 winches, say front and rear (i just looked at what i typed... front & rear? as opposed to what? roof and cubby box? :blink::D ), anyway, you could have one switch to isolate the low amperage hand remote feed to both allbright solenoids for example, so that they were turned "off" but not "shorted" together via one switch.