Discovery 2 front window and rear step

petrolhead63

Since fitting the spanish head the truck has been transformed and other than a sticky wastegate een spot on.

The passenger side window jams and has come loose in its guides..........if this is common and the cause is likely known before I strip it out please let me know...its nice to have new parts at the ready. (audi's for example is usually a few quid plastic guide block!)

Any tricks to removing the door panel/card?

Also the rear step (7 seat one) collapsed the other day and it has rotted from in to out and the gas strut ripped off! So i need either a good used one or to strip it off and play with the welder. I think the quare plastic bung on the end of it should be left off..it seals water in and stops it running out.

Hi, it's most likely the window regulator. Very common, if you do a search on various sites. For the door card removal - try and use the proper removal tool, although I'd still get a few spare fasteners as they easily break.

Griff

• 2 weeks later...

As said in the first response, the regulator is usually the cause. There are a couple of while plastic wheels that can break up & then allow the glass to rotate in the guides & jam.

I managed to fabricate a temporary replacement for 1 using odds & sods lying about when ours failed during a Bank Holiday weekend when everybody was shut.

The other that can happen is that the bolts can come loose that maintain the position of the bottom of the vertical guides for the glass - allowing the glass to slop about.

The door card needs to come off to fix either issue.

Edited by Pawl12

On the rear step - allow more time than you think - I had huge problems removing the bolts... 

IIRC the bolts go through from the outside (which is good), but they were so corroded in that one of  the bolt heads snapped off. Then there is not enough room to do anything unless you remove the fuel tank. I ended up just cutting through the bracket to remove (and scrap) mine...