VSR relays - quick comparison

Eightpot

While we're on the subject of split charging at the moment and not wanting to add to the other thread, I just happen to be swapping out an old National Luna solenoid driven split charge system that has started failing in open circuit, and replacing it with a Durite VSR.

I also have an old identical looking VSR, cost approx £30 on ebay, which stopped working recently - it had quite a tough innings to be fair as it came off my African 110.    While I have the two on the bench thought I'd do a quick visual comparison.

Both casings are identical in size and shape, the only difference being location of the charge LED.

Opening them up, they have identical labels indicating which pole is which. Both are encased in gel, circuitry looks quite similar.  

The size of internal relays is obviously way different - Durite ones have much bigger legs, soldering is much more substantial, and the quality of the pcb looks much higher.

I would say definitely worth paying extra for the Durite version.

20180906_105652.jpg

20180906_105628.jpg

Even the LED location isn't different if you rotate one of them so their mountings are oriented the same rather than the labels.

I wonder if the internal differences are actually down to manufacturer, or just age? i.e. if you bought the AE Parts version now and opened it up, would that still be the same as the old AE Parts VSR or the new Durite one?

Good point - the old one isn't that old, but luckily I have another vehicle here with another VSR to get another comparison.

This is another cheapy one - but this one is identical to the Durite bar the label.  Innards look to be the same, same size relay legs and good soldering.

So maybe those with the circular front moulding are pap, maybe it's potluck, maybe the Durite are built with better components or they're just badging generic chinese VSR's.  

20180906_123619.jpg

20180906_123443.jpg

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic, as I went through this recently by accident actually, I ordered a Durite version and got sent some cheap copy, I actually contacted the company who's label was on the front, and asked for some quality certification ISO 50001, they didn't have a clue, they sent me some E marked certification that after doing some checking turned out to be pretty suspect, I dropped Durite an email and they sent me there ISO certificates off the bat, and as can be seen from the basic photos, the Durite stuff looks to be of better quality for not much more cost.

Defo a thumbs up for Durite.