Defender 90 V8 running rich i think?

My Defender V8 appears to be running rich, based on my very limited knowledge of V8s.

The old girl gets well looked after however I can smell petrol fumes at the exhaust, it’s not the most definitive way of telling if she’s running rich. I am trying to find someone who lives near me that can actually works or can carry out diagnostics on the old girl but as yet I can’t find anyone with the experience required.

So based on its running rich what should I be looking for or at????

Please try and keep it simple for me……………………..cheers Ivan

Assuming it's a factory 3.5 V8 on carbs they're supposedly not hard, but also frankly they will smell like they're running rich compared to almost anything modern because that's kinda how they run.

Others on here know about the carbs, I hate the daft clockwork things :ph34r:

Might be worth hitting up George (Shackleton on here) as he's at least on the same island as you and might know some people.

Based on your other post it sounds like  you are running hotwire injection? 

If so then there is a diagnostic manual on here you can follow through (i think). 

Only real way to tell whats going on is to stick a wideband lambda sensor on it and see whats coming out the exhaust, or go to a garage and see if they will let you have a quick sniff with their kit. 

Hello Toby 

long time no speak, the old girl is running like a dream, just it appears to be running rich and i just smell the fumes out of the exhaust, maybe thats normal i am not sure?

i had cleaned the air flow meter, again maybe time to look closer at the air flow meter.

thanks for every ones input................................cheers Ivan