Lack of power just after start up

SiDisco2

Hi,

im after some help! I have a 2002 discovery td5 auto that has very little power / acceleration just after start up! This last for about 4 to 5 seconds that all of a sudden goes back to normal! Any ideas? It’s quite scary when you jump in start up and try to pull away! 

Thanks 

Si

Is it more noticeable after a cold start? I've known TD5s to be a bit lumpy and down on power in the cold, effectively running on 4 of 5 cylinders, because the last one doesn't have a glow plug. If one of the other glow plugs is bad, this would be be even more pronounced.

Filip

My TD5 Defender suffered a similar thing - eventually I traced it to the wastegate failing to close fully. Engine would fire up and run 'numb' for the first 30 seconds or so, until some heat expanded the wastegate-housing and allowed the wastegate to close properly.

A bit of time vigorously 'exercising' the wastegate-operating arm, and a blow-out with compressed air solved it.

• Like 1

Hi, first of all you should stay idling for around 15 secs after start up for the sake of the turbocharger so dont try to take off immediately, nor after 5 seconds...and if you follow the builder's recommendation you'll not have this problem at all... while the turbo is not well lubricated it spins harder or at all at idle exhaust pressure so not much air flow to the inlet as well that's why it has no power, it depends very much on the oil's quality and thickness, how worn is the turbo, etc, happens more often with thermally broken thicker than recommended mineral or semi synthetic oils.

From Workshop manual - Engine management Td5- Turbocharger 

The engine should be allowed to idle for 15 seconds following engine start up and before the engine is switched off

to protect the turbocharger by maintaining oil supply to the turbine bearings.

Edited by sierrafery

The same symptoms are often experienced if the vehicle is remapped and the MAF is unplugged. 

It starts off in one map till it realises it should be running the other and switches over.. 
I don''t know the exact details. If it uses a standard cold start map or something, then switches over but mine certainly does it. 

As said above, it's not ideal to jump in and set off at a full rate of knots, but the same will happen just after a stall, where the turbo is still oiled etc by the time you restart.

Thaanks for all the responses! I will start with the waste gate tomorrow, then move onto the MAF, it happens every time I start it hot or cold so I’m assuming it’s the MAF! Yet more money at the old girl! She should be worth about 10k the amount of money it has had spent on it 🙄

• 3 weeks later...