Rover 4.6 V lumpy idle then revs by itself

PeteMck

yer thats pretty much what it looks like. I machined a plug at work to fit in there. Seems to have done the trick. I can now get the engine down to 600rpm and if i completely close the throttle it will stall. With a bit of playing with the map im hoping ill be able to get a steady idle at around 750/800rpm. its already a lot better. 

my next issue is how little throttle movement i need before its revving its rubbish off. probably not even 1/4 open and its up at 5000rpm. is this probably just down to my ve table? 

Also what do you guys have your injector staging (simultaneous or alternating) and how many squirts per cycle?

TIA

Edited by PeteMck

Well that's progress!

If you can stall it with the throttle closed it sounds like you're basically air-tight, so that's a good starting base-line.

With no load you don't need much throttle opening to get it to rev up, don't start panicking about fuel maps etc. just yet - if it starts & runs & idles there's not much wrong with anything.

I will try and remember to dig a base map etc. off the laptop when I'm next in the shed.

• 2 weeks later...

OK this is the basic defaults blown into Nige's ECU's - should start & run anything but don't take it as the perfect settings, just as a rough guide:

http://www.fuddymuckers.co.uk/files/ms/_MS_N_EDIS_Defaults.msq

And this is the msq from my 4.6 in the 127, beware it has outputs for fan control set up and is by no means a good tune (I can build 'em but I suck at tuning):

http://www.fuddymuckers.co.uk/files/ms/127_megasquirt201807171849.msq

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, PeteMck said:

yer thats pretty much what it looks like. I machined a plug at work to fit in there. Seems to have done the trick. I can now get the engine down to 600rpm and if i completely close the throttle it will stall. With a bit of playing with the map im hoping ill be able to get a steady idle at around 750/800rpm. its already a lot better. 

my next issue is how little throttle movement i need before its revving its rubbish off. probably not even 1/4 open and its up at 5000rpm. is this probably just down to my ve table? 

Also what do you guys have your injector staging (simultaneous or alternating) and how many squirts per cycle?

TIA

Good morning PeteMck,

I think I am having the same problem and need to seal my defunct stepper. Did you machine a piece with a conical end to match the stepper or was it just a cylinder shape in as far as possible. This may save me pulling the last few hairs out of my head in frustration if it solves it. Tks in advance for any advice.

You can do almost anything as long as air can't get through the passage - I have a feeling I may have tapped the inlet channel and wound a short socket-cap bolt in on one of them, the other I machined a pin with a head and pushed it into the hole.