Defender 2.4 TDci Power loss at high speed

Hello; Have a 2.4 TDCi that has developed a problem with power at high speed. It always used to hit the max speed of 140KPH, even loaded up it go to top speed. Now its struggling to get from 120/125 KPH to 135KPH max. Even at that once I hit a slight incline on the road it lacks guts and drops back to 120KPH. I've had the fuel filter changed and checked for fault codes but nothing showing up. It accelerates fine up to 100/120KPH, and is as lively as normal (Defender wise) at lower speeds.

A few weeks ago it was only doing 120KPH at the very maximum but nothing else. Fuel filter change has made a bit of difference but still not right. Its a stock 2.4 TDCi with no engine or software mods. 

Any one experienced similar? 

Cheers. 

I know it’s not your question, but why would you be regularly driving the Defender flat out?

l mean it will do it, but l wouldn’t recommend it. Much better to back off 10kmh or so from absolutely flat out, surely?

Edited by Lightning

16 hours ago, Lightning said:

I know it’s not your question, but why would you be regularly driving the Defender flat out?

l mean it will do it, but l wouldn’t recommend it. Much better to back off 10kmh or so from absolutely flat out, surely?

The engine is electronically limited. It has the potential to do more. It's not like its in the red when flat out. It cruised very comfortably at 139KPH

20 hours ago, Farmerfred said:

First thing to check is the turbo hoses, a soft hose tends to collapse and restrict air flow or you may have a split in one. Start with the simple things.

18 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Checked the air filter?

Yes Air filter changed, MAF checked nad intercooler hoses pressure tested. I'm tempted to swap in some silicone hoses anyway. 

Honestly, if LR don't stop you from driving at high speed for long periods of time, then it is probably fine.

Imagine sitting on the autobahn, 6th gear and bouncing off the rev/speed limiter. You have an engine failure, would LR say you were using it outside of parameters? No, they couldn't possibly.

flat out is a bit subjective, but there is nothing wrong with driving a defender at speed, nothing at all, and neither are they made of glass and need babying everywhere!

Pumas use a Variable Geometry Turbo [VGT] . Check that the mechanism that operates the VGT  is working properly and that the VGT-actuating linkage is free to move and can actually vary the turbo-geometry and isn't stuck/binding. There's an electronic control-module bolted to the side of the VGT assembly - check that the plug for this is properly seated.

Edited by Tanuki

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Honestly, if LR don't stop you from driving at high speed for long periods of time, then it is probably fine.

Imagine sitting on the autobahn, 6th gear and bouncing off the rev/speed limiter. You have an engine failure, would LR say you were using it outside of parameters? No, they couldn't possibly.

flat out is a bit subjective, but there is nothing wrong with driving a defender at speed, nothing at all, and neither are they made of glass and need babying everywhere!

Well, you carry on doing it then..... it’s your vehicle after all, to do with what you want.

I wish I could drive my car flat out. But prison doesn't appeal. 

Seriously, as long as the vehicle is serviced under the extreme user schedule, it should be fine.  Nowt wrong with an Italian tune up.