Starter motor continues to run after failed start

1985 110 2.5NA

This has cropped up only a few times out of many starts, but I would like to figure out what is going on here.  This is a fairly new (6 month old) Bosch starter.

The starter motor continues to spin after I've let off the key.  Not engaged, so it's not cranking, but spinning as if the solenoid did not push engage the gear, but it is still turing.

This happened after I cranked for a few seconds and let off the key -- not enough to start the engine. I have a knife switch on my battery, so it's easily stopped, but I would like to solve this.

Ideas on what is going on here? 

Thanks,

-Evan-

• 2 months later...

I have replaced the ignition switch as well as the starter battery, and I still had this happen.  

The starter motor stops spinning, of course, when I use the knife switch on the battery.  When I engage the knife switch again, however, I get a spark as I close the switch, and if the clutch is engaged and the car is in gear, the vehicle with lurch forward a bit.  

Once again, this does not happen every time

Thanks,

-Evan-

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a 2.5 N/A ex-military 110. I tried to start it yesterday. The starter motor started to crank over the engine for about 10 seconds then the engine stopped cranking but the starter motor was still spinning. Disconnected the terminal to stop it. Would you suggest replacing the starter motor first, then the switch? 

The problem is probably contacts on the starter solenoid welded together or sufficient current leaking into the solenoid low power circuit to keep it partially energised. If the latter, disconnecting the solenoid circuit should stop the starter, otherwise if it keeps going it points to welded contacts.  If so, you might get away with stripping the solenoid and cleaning up the contacts, or replacing the solenoid, rather than the whole starter. If pulling the solenoid feed stops it, you are looking at an ignition switch