Tyres for Series 3 ex-mil

rfuhrich

Hi all,

i bought last year in Norway a 1975 LR 109 Series 3 ex-mil Norway.

As i bought it, there where some tubeless Cooper Tyres.

I let sand and new paint the rims and now i thinking, which tyres i should mount.

In the original army documentation sre Viking Knobby 9x16 tyres (the spare wheels have it still).

As there is actual no possible to order this one, i will ask you for your help:

- which brand and type of this dimension you will recommend ?

- use tubed or tubeless tyres to this rims ?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=9400f925d91862ba

Thank you a lot for your suggestions

Richard

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your rims are designed for a tubed tyre as they don't have a bead retaining lip on the inside, so that might be an issue - as almost all tyres now are tubeless, and you shouldn't run tubes in tubeless tyre as it can rub through the tube. Depends a bit on your local vehicle laws and your personal attitude to risk ;) as almost any combination will work but may not be perfectly safe or legal.

There's some more info on all the many flavours of rim fitted to Land Rovers over the years here:

23 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Your rims are designed for a tubed tyre as they don't have a bead retaining lip on the inside, so that might be an issue - as almost all tyres now are tubeless, and you shouldn't run tubes in tubeless tyre as it can rub through the tube. Depends a bit on your local vehicle laws and your personal attitude to risk ;) as almost any combination will work but may not be perfectly safe or legal.

There's some more info on all the many flavours of rim fitted to Land Rovers over the years here:

Agree with the comment about tubes. I have similar tubed rims and bought the tubes to go with them when I fitted new tyres. For a couple of quid extra it’s just not worth risking life and limb, yours or someone else’s.