Engine Temperature

Has anyone got a thermocouple and a 200tdi? any other accurate temperature measuring device will do.

I'm trying to work out if i've got an overheating problem, or if my gauge/sender is fubar. I suspect the latter, but getting a new gauge/sender at this time of year isn't going to happen, and i've got some time to investigate a bit.

Cheers

Luke

I've currently got an 82 deg thermostat (after your previous posts on the topic), which is showing at just less than 12 o'clock on the gauge, and about 77 deg at the thermostat housing (external). an 88 deg thermostat has the gauge sitting at about 1 - 1:30. both thermostats are less than 6months old and gen/OEM.

The heater isn't alarmingly hot.

I'm thinking about fitting one of these.

r_pt11.jpg

The gauge used to sit bang on 12 o'clock.

I put the 82 in for the summer, which was great, and recently put the 88 in for the winter. that's when i noticed it sitting higher. It doesn't rise under load (for eg - 90 full of stuff doing 65 -70 for 90 mins, gave 28mpg). I've just done 200 miles with the 82 in, it sat at just before 12.

That racetech gauge is capillary, so should seperate itself from any electrical problems, though i've never used/installed a capillary gauge before.

Do you fancy measuring the resistance between the sender and the block on your 200tdi, with the gauge disconnected?

can anyone else do the same, hopefully more people have got a multimeter than a thermocouple!

Luke what colour is your sensor? IIRC there are green & orange ones with different resistance ranges. you'd want the figures for the correct unit after all. the coloured section is the plastic bit between the terminal & the main body of the sensor.

i know when i thought the sensor on my disco was duff & got supplied the wrong type it ran almost in the red at normal operating temp. turned out i had a chaffed wire that was shorting giving 'interesting' gauge readings on right hand bends/side slopes.

Do you fancy measuring the resistance between the sender and the block on your 200tdi, with the gauge disconnected?

can anyone else do the same, hopefully more people have got a multimeter than a thermocouple!

Sorry not able to do the above, simply because my multimeter is 200 odd miles away at home.

the 200Tdi [Defender engine] only has one sender PRC8953, no colour code shown in EPC, but mine has a black plastic insert.

If you're just after a cheap (ten quid) and temporary way of monitoring under bonnet temperatures, this idea might help:

Buy one of these Digital Cooking Thermometers from Maplin. The sensor is easily removed and can be extended by soldering in a length of co-ax. I used a bit cut off a TV aerial lead, and it didn't seem to change the readings much at all. The sensor is a bit on the long side, but can be attached to whatever needs monitoring by trapping it under a bolt head or by using wire or cable ties.

I bodged one of these together when I needed to drive a diesel 70 miles with a suspected blown head gasket and wanted to make sure the head didn't overheat. I wasn't too sure about battery life, so just turned it on from time to time during the journey. Worked a treat.

I've already got a thermocouple, that's not the problem, what i'd like is accurate temperatures from other people, so i can compare.

Cheers tho.

Luke,

I have an infra red thermometer from Maplins. You simply point its laser marker at the object you want to measure the temperature of.

I used mine to measure the block, temp sender, rad etc when i thought i had overheating problems. Let me know what parts of my 200TDi you want me to measure i will record them today for you.

I will record the temp sender resistance as well.

Nigel

Luke,

I have an infra red thermometer from Maplins. You simply point its laser marker at the object you want to measure the temperature of.

I used mine to measure the block, temp sender, rad etc when i thought i had overheating problems. Let me know what parts of my 200TDi you want me to measure i will record them today for you.

I will record the temp sender resistance as well.

Nigel

Nigel, that'd be great, if you would.

all with the engine nicely warm.

resistance between sender and block, with gauge disconnected

temperature on thermostat outlet - just near where pipe goes off to rad.

temperature on water pump inlet - where pipe comes back from rad.

temperature of head, thermostat housing end.

Thanks very much indeed.

Luke

Nigel, that'd be great, if you would.

all with the engine nicely warm.

resistance between sender and block, with gauge disconnected

temperature on thermostat outlet - just near where pipe goes off to rad.

temperature on water pump inlet - where pipe comes back from rad.

temperature of head, thermostat housing end.

Thanks very much indeed.

Luke

Luke,

Here are the measurements from my engine....

all with the engine as warm as i could get it.

resistance between sender and block, with gauge disconnected....250ohms, temp guage reading just very slightly to the left of vertical.

temperature on thermostat outlet - just near where pipe goes off to rad.... 73 deg C measured betwen the two circles at the top of the housing.

temperature on water pump inlet - where pipe comes back from rad....80 deg C measured at base of thermostat. 55Deg C at the end of the bottom hose where it joins the ali casting.

temperature of head, thermostat housing end.....82 Deg C

Brass head on temp sender....87 deg C.

I am running an 88 deg C stat.

Sorry about the many variations in readings, but i found that the engine cools itself very quickly with the bonnet open, plus i have a new rad so even with a duff viscus fan unit not spinning, the engine struggled to get up to temp.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve got a 95 defender and whenever you put the lights on, the temp gauge climbs from the 12 0 clock position to the red whithin a minute or so. Worried me the 1 st time it happened as i was on the m6 with about 25 miles to the next junction. I stopped on the hard shoulder and opened the bonnet for 10 mins. When i restarted the 90 the gauge read normal but as soon as i put the lights on it rose again.

Still hav`nt got around to finding the fault as the gauge stays at 12 0 clock with the lights off

I`ve got a 95 defender and whenever you put the lights on, the temp gauge climbs from the 12 0 clock position to the red whithin a minute or so. Worried me the 1 st time it happened as i was on the m6 with about 25 miles to the next junction. I stopped on the hard shoulder and opened the bonnet for 10 mins. When i restarted the 90 the gauge read normal but as soon as i put the lights on it rose again.

Still hav`nt got around to finding the fault as the gauge stays at 12 0 clock with the lights off

Its a bad earth, either on the headlights or to the temp gauge.