Sign in to follow this  
o_teunico

Freewheel rear axle?

Hi all,

I have seen some 6x6 with freewheeling at the rear axle.

Question is, can a front fw be bolted to the rear axle with nowhere to bolt the castellated nut in half shaft?

Pic from youtube

Screenshot_20190417-164236.png

If you are making a 4x6 rather than 6x6, you'd be better off removing the shafts and diff and just fitting a blanking plate over the diff housing, or even making a straight axle outright.  Assuming you want the rear axle to be powered, then I can't see a major issue - the floating shaft is not going to move so far as to contact its opposite number in the diff or apply a significant thrust force inside the FWH.  It does seem a bit pointless, though - FWH make no difference to performance or economy, and only anecdotally improve steering on UJ equipped front axles - I have read a few claims of lighter steering, but it made no difference to anything on mine and I regard them as nothing more than a weak link, rock/stump risk and waste of money.

I agree there isn't much point to FWH on the front. But on a 6x6, it could reduce tyre scrub on road while having both rear axles permanently coupled by a short propshaft.

Filip

• Like 1