Noisy fuel pump

quattro

Hi All.

Megasquirt running nicely, loads of power :) but the diff has been suffering so I have just spent 16 months (in between work and general life) shoehorning a 2.88 LSD Jag diff into my P6B. 

For reasons more complicated than interesting, during this work, I have removed the in-tank pump and fitted an in-line fuel pump instead. Flick the ignition on and it buzzes away happily for a second or two, then start the car and of we go. Then after a minute or so the noise starts, and I mean it's very loud. I can hear the pump in the cabin, on the motorway, with the radio on 🙁.

The pump is a HP3017.1. Anyone know if this is unsuitable for any reason? Have I done something wrong? (It has a 12mm feed straight from the tank to the pump, 40cm x 12mm i/d hose from the tank, and in-tank filter. Intuition is suggesting that there is not enough back pressure for the pump - and it's over running, but that is just a hunch.

Any ideas lads as I haven't had the use of my car for 16 months and want to go for a drive 😉

Richard

No lift pump, no.

The pump is under the tank though, around 15cm below the bottom of it, with a 40cm hose. I did only have around a gallon of petrol in there, so wondered if there wasn't enough pressure to the pump, so I went and put 6 gallons in, and it made no difference whatsoever.

Richard

Yes, pump is rubber mounted, it's cable tied to a bracket on 6mm foam, then the bracket is on two rubber mounts to the body. The only other connection to the body are the R9 8mm hose at the pressure end, and the R7 12mm hose at the inlet. 

IMG_5111.JPG.a563de0065624788a4412d59ded28790.JPG

Pump is from Glencoe.co.uk, not a cheapy.

IMG_5114.JPG.cf0bce91760434777655a35cdd291b90.JPG

I understand they can be noisy, but this one starts off with just a normal pump noise, which I was expecting, but then gets a lot louder.

I don't know if youtube links work on here - https://youtu.be/omcc48oveLc

Richard

Hi FF, I managed to speak to them earlier, but the chap who knows about retrofitting EFI into classics is not in until Wednesday 1st May.

I have had a google or three, so will check there's no vacuum building in the tank, then drain the tank, clean it out, wash the pump out, check for any restrictions, etc

Richard

On 4/25/2019 at 7:29 PM, quattro said:

I have had a google or three, so will check there's no vacuum building in the tank, then drain the tank, clean it out, wash the pump out, check for any restrictions, etc

Sound like a lot of unnecessary work to me, and WTF do you wash a fuel pump out with? :huh:

On 4/28/2019 at 9:42 AM, steve200TDi said:

You say the pump is below the tank. I'm guessing the feed to the pump is at the bottom of the tank too as the pump would still need to siphon it out of the tank if the connections were on top of the tank!

Steve

Fuel outlet on a P6 is under the tank, so no siphoning 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:15 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Sound like a lot of unnecessary work to me, and WTF do you wash a fuel pump out with? :huh:

I washed it out with clean petrol but there was nothing in there. There was however some muck in the tank which had blocked the internal filter. I did have to remove the tank and wash it out thoroughly. All up and working again now - touch wood :)