Series 3 reverse switch query

neilc

I am going to fit a reverse light into the series , I know I can put a switch in the gearstick casing , however I am just going to mount it on the dash instead , today I opened up the panel and the switch that has the small clock / dial picture on it ( I think it was for interior lights at some point which I don't have ) literally had a wire coming from it that went nowhere ? Just a single wire . Am I right in thinking that if I want to use this switch position ( keeping it tidy ) that I need to legally have an illumination switch  as a reverse switch , I remember reading something once , it is either a legal requirement or a guideline to help prevent leaving it on , thanks.

Panel lights seem to come on when sidelights are switched on anyway so this switch seems redundant and as stated wire didn't go anywhere anyway? . I will use a new switch with feed from fuse so will remove this switch as it's not doing anything and replace with a switch that I can use to turn on reverse light when I am reversing , I will make it illuminated so that I don't forget to turn it off . I'm assuming that's ok for future MOTS?

While doing it that way will work, and with a warning light should meet legal requirements, it’s a clumsy and awkward to use solution.  Fitting a reverse light switch (or brake light switch at a much lower price) is no more complex.  Arguably, its easier as you don’t have to muck about inside the dash or fiddle with existing wiring and add dash earths or warning lamps.  Just fit the switch to the gear lever pivot, run a feed with a 5A fuse from the battery or solenoid to the switch (fuse as close to the battery as possible) and an outlet wire from the switch to the reverse light.  Simple, and a better, easier to use and completely legal installation.

The non-servo brake light switch opens when the plunger is pushed, so bear this in mind if you fit this type of switch to the gearbox.  There is provision for fitting a reverse light switch on the later SIII boxes, I can't find any info on this, but it may require that the switch closes when the plunger is pressed.

Wire the reverse lights to the ignition circuit, if you wire it straight to the battery the reverse light will illuminate if you park in reverse.