Smoking problems

Hi all , trucks a defender 200tdi engine and I’ve got a problem with white/grey smoke . I have searched but can’t find anything specific to my problem as it doesn’t do it all the time, I’m not loosing coolant but using a bit of oil and I don’t hear it at start up but after a run I can here a ticking but otherwise trucks running fine , I haven’t tried anything yet as I think I could end up chasing a problem and spending money I don’t need to but a have ordered a set of Beru glow plugs and will change them regardless .

So I get the usual puff of smoke on startup then she idles fine , but as soon as I accelerate away I get grey/white smoke which then stops after the initial acceleration and it does this in all gears , also if I’ve gone somewhere then stop turn off the engine at a garage for instance she will smoke on start up then stop after I accelerate away , then tonight on the way home from work I come down a narrow lane and had to reverse for a lorry and the grey/white smoke was really coming out then as soon as I went forward it stopped. I think it’s the injection pump but what do everyone else think I’m at a bit of a loss any help or ideas would be very helpful.

cheers Ian 

Have you had a wiff of it when reversing? The difference in smell between burning oil or unburnt diesel is a tell tale. Have you had a look inside the turbo hoses to see if there is any oil? I think it is worth taking the hose off the inlet manifold and going for a little drive and see if the smoke goes away or stays to rule out oil getting in from a worn turbo seal or the breather. 

No I haven’t monkie, but it doesn’t do it all the time , it might be me but it seems more noticeable when it’s cooler like in the morning at 6 o’clock. I haven’t tried anything yet but I replaced the seal on the turbo last year when I fitted a new chra, but I’ll try removing the hose and going for a drive .

If you do drive it with the hose disconnected, be very, very gentle. Without any back-pressure to work against, the turbo will overspeed quite quickly, causing all sorts of damage that may or may not immediately be apparent. 

Checking a turbo is quite easy: take the hose off the front, grab the end of the shaft with finger and thumb and give if a wiggle. A little movement radially is quire normal, so long as its not enough that you can get it to contact the housing. There should be almost no detectable axial movement. The problem with oil leaking by is rarely the seals themselves, more that there's too much play in the shaft and they can't then do their job properly. It's a much safer way to check. 

Fetched the hose off from turbo to air box no play in the turbo and just the usual smeering of oil in the hose and no visible oil coming out of the turbo. Also no grey/white smoke visible on the way home but there was some this morning again visible when 1st accelerating but clearing when up to speed .

I can recommend a fill of BP Advanced and a good dose of injector cleaner. The fuel burns better - more cleanly -  (certainly makes a difference in my 200tdi) and the cleaner gives the guts a good scrub out. I've suggested this to friends and they've had noticeably cleaner running. Might take a wee while to fully scour the tubes but its a cheap starting point.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved , just to update on this stripped the head off to check the head gasket and it was the valve stem oil seals . A few had decided they didn’t like being seated on top of the valve guides so went walkies:hysterical: . Cleaned everything out and all seams well no white grey smoke at all , things didn’t quite go very easy but its sorted now and truck feels better just a small puff of black smoke when first accelerating but that soon clears , so alls well . 

• Like 2