Clutch Fork Play

Let's play another game of "is it F'ed?".

When replacing the clutch slave cylinder, the rod and plastic bracket came out together. Seems a common issue, so I did my research and found a way to refit without taking the gearbox off. However, this is my first time seeing the clutch fork as someone else bolted the engine and gearbox in place for me.

It doesn't seem right. Under light pressure, the fork will retract into the bellhousing - surely it's meant to return to the front position? That made it difficult to ensure the rod engages with the slave cylinder. It's also very wobbly. Videos for a slightly more objective description, apologies that they are so large.

If this is gearbox out, I am going to be extremely annoyed.

So perhaps this is where my lack of experience with this comes in, but surely it would have some resistance? I cannot stress just how little effort it takes to press it back into the housing, I would have thought the clutch itself pushes back....

I am working on the assumption fork pressed back at the slave cylinder end = clutch depressed.

You won’t actuate the clutch by hand, it takes a lot of force. All you’re doing when moving the fork/rod around is moving the bearing about on the sleeve it rides on. Push the rod all the way in and that’s the bearing up against the clutch plate fingers - in order to actually ‘depress’ the clutch you’d have to push the rod very hard past this point.

That is what I hoped, thanks a lot - from the angle I'm at it looks like there isn't much room left for it to travel once I depress it, but I'm not in a rush to drop the box so I think I can make an informed decision on this one.

Thanks for the responses and education (your site is also massively useful for my build at the moment).

Relating to the original problem of the clutch slave push rod becoming detached from clutch fork because the carp plastic clip has broken, LOF clutchs do wire clips now for the clutch push rod and for the fork to release bearing. They work very well and are much more secure.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

Look here

Mo