Would It Work?

Andy

Yesterday while out playing i snapped a rear shaft again, 2nd one in two years. not to bad with a detroit in a disco with the original 10spline shafts i think. anyway as last time it broke by the diff so i had to take the diff out to get the end of the old shaft out - lovely fun in the cold welsh rain.

its got me thinking, if i get a broom handle & screw a magnet on the end (that'd fit into the diff) any reason i couldnt just use that to pull the end of the shaft out next time? the shafts seem to snap cleanly & not leave any bits. i know id have to change the oil asap incase but it'd get me moving agian a lot faster when it happens.

(No connection to the company, other than as a satisfied customer)

I bought an X-Eng shaft removal tool, and have to say that I'm deeply impressed. Such a simple bit of kit, but the idea of using the carrying tube as part of the tool just makes me smile. Definately worth getting. I also have 10 spline shafts and a detroit - worth it in embuggerance alone.

As an aside, I also have the X-charge and a couple of pairs of the X-lite. Very impressed with both - good design, good company. Next time the handbrake needs adjusting, I'm going to get one of the disk handbrake thingies as well.

you know id always wondered why i hadnt seen them for sale as it was such a simple yet handy idea. looks like i'll be ordering one soon.

i agree ther a great bit of kit but unfortunatly when i broke my rear half shaft (10 spline) at 7S it spead slightly and could not be removed with an X eng magnet (thanks for trying mark) so had to take mine out anyway

mike

Seems sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, depends how stuck the end of the shaft is. Saved Chris Watts having to pull his diff at the side of the road in a very wet wales. Luckily I've not had to try it out on my own truck yet....................doh!...........that's done it now.

We fished one out stuck in deep ruts at Radyr using a telescopic magnet stuck onto a piece of bamboo with insulation tape. Worked a treat. The idea did come from surfing Simons website so all credit to him.

Funny I seem to remember the first time you had to change the halfshaft was in Wales too Andy :D :D

DSCI0072.jpg

Evidence

(No connection to the company, other than as a satisfied customer)

I bought an X-Eng shaft removal tool, and have to say that I'm deeply impressed. Such a simple bit of kit, but the idea of using the carrying tube as part of the tool just makes me smile. Definately worth getting. I also have 10 spline shafts and a detroit - worth it in embuggerance alone.

As an aside, I also have the X-charge and a couple of pairs of the X-lite. Very impressed with both - good design, good company. Next time the handbrake needs adjusting, I'm going to get one of the disk handbrake thingies as well.

Just fitted said disk handbrake thingie. Very impressed, and so easy to fit.