Byway closed

Went out for a Walk and found that the byway in Amesbury (ref SU159409 to 167396) is closed for 3 months due to Wessex Archaeology digging big holes.

This Byway may be shut for up to 18 month according to the notice either end of the byway.

As the Amesbury Archer was found in this ares (http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/projects/amesbury/archer.html) this may be closed a while if they find anything!

If there's a developer buildng, it is probably likley that they have had to pay to have the archaeologists in to "clear the way" for their buildings. As a result, there's generally a fair bit of pressure on the archaeologists to move along pretty speedily.

Cheers

Blippie

At least that strikes me as a 'good' reason for closing a lane.

Did you wander up and take a look, or have they not started digging yet?

Yes they has started, there are about 12 6 meter x 2 meter trenches all around.

Silly thing is that the sign says "Closed to Vehicals" and not to foot passangers!!

If there's a developer buildng, it is probably likley that they have had to pay to have the archaeologists in to "clear the way" for their buildings. As a result, there's generally a fair bit of pressure on the archaeologists to move along pretty speedily.

Cheers

Blippie

Yes it mandotory according to PPG16 they have to have a "watching brief"

as commented above, this one has been closed before, as when I went past Rogues back door in June it wasn't till I got to the Northern end that they actually had a sign saying it was closed (never did find one at the Southern end where I started :huh: )

Guest diesel_jim

Not having a map in front of me at the mo... is this the byway that starts (at the lower end) on what looks like a footpath? quite narrow but you expect a pushbike to come flying around the corner at any moment?

it goes up onto a flat area where there is a huge housing estate being built?

Not having a map in front of me at the mo... is this the byway that starts (at the lower end) on what looks like a footpath? quite narrow but you expect a pushbike to come flying around the corner at any moment?

it goes up onto a flat area where there is a huge housing estate being built?

Rich,

Is that the one that passes close to your back passage? ;)

Paul

Guest diesel_jim
Your description sounds about right, but just to confirm:

Multimap

top left of the byway starts at the top middle, while it ends at the bottom right by Stockport

Yup, thats the one i was thinking of. cheers minivin