Recent experience of Shielder Chassis ??

On 1/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, dailysleaze said:

The comments from this guy are pretty horrendous about a 2018 era chassis: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70634.html

He seems to look on the bright side as he's halfway round the world, but a brake pipe hanger being 30mm out? If I was setting up a business building chassis I'd get a real chassis, make a negative jig and built to that. How can they get it soooo wrong from the outset?

Crikey - one of those comments said their engine was 30mm further forward ...😮

13 hours ago, mat2495 said:

Well I didn't have as many photo's as I expected, but I still have one sat on a pallet if you want details of anything particular. Anyway, here are a couple of pics, one after t-wash, with primer going on, and one in paint showing the back side.

IMG_3889 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3894 - Copy.JPG

A new bulkhead is the dream! Is it ok to move around the garage by yourself or would you need 2 people?

On 5/22/2020 at 5:38 PM, mat2495 said:

I've finished the first one. The fit of the bulkhead was generally quite good, I did have to tweak a couple of small things, for example the area behind the windscreen hinges was slightly thinner causing the bolts to bottom out in the hinge, fixed with a spacer behind the bracket inside. I also had to space the bulkhead back from the chassis outriggers by about 6mm to get the door gap right, which was far enough that I had to stretch the holes in the footwell brackets, but given that it was a new chassis, new bulkhead, and some pretty tired bodywork I really don't know where the issue stemmed from. I can put up a few pictures of the bulkhead and a more complete list of tweaks if you like?

Oh and the feet didn't line up perfectly with the holes in the bulkhead outriggers, again, no idea which part wasn't quite right, but easily sorted with a ratchet strap!

Doesn't sound too bad, There is both a spacer and a strap on the inside of the windscreen bracket anyway as the spacer allows the bracket to clear the lip on the top of the bulkhead. A 6mm gap is well within tolerance. I have looked at some new units on line wich seem to be good value.

21 hours ago, paime said:

A new bulkhead is the dream! Is it ok to move around the garage by yourself or would you need 2 people?

It is quite satisfying! With the galvanised chassis and sills as well as various other brackets it should outlast it's owner now. Before building it up with anything else they are reasonable to move by yourself. 

1 hour ago, ballcock said:

Doesn't sound too bad, There is both a spacer and a strap on the inside of the windscreen bracket anyway as the spacer allows the bracket to clear the lip on the top of the bulkhead. A 6mm gap is well within tolerance. I have looked at some new units on line wich seem to be good value.

It felt like a few things when I was writing it up, but I'm glad I did it, and it hasn't made me dread doing the next one, so it can't have been too bad.

On the value front, I bought from shielder direct, as I was ordering two at a time they were good enough to put some discount on it, and shipping was pretty sensible. Ended up cheaper than getting them from a local re seller in the end.

• 3 months later...