On My Toyota

Petergg

Reckon so, the alternnator must be a 24v too or somehow splits it's charge to the 2 12v batts, IIRC the starter & possibly alternator are the only 24v bits on the vehicle.

It is a 12v alternator on the Toyota.

I am about to sort out my winch's on 90, and will probably go 24v I can take off the a/c and fit a 24v alternator, but then thought well if Toyota can do it why not on my Landy.

Peter

The way it works is down to battery charging/pre-heater/engine management stuff, all of which is 12volt, with the second battery being trickle charged from the first, not a split charge from the alternator. We found that where Land Rover would have done something simple and unreliable, Toyota had done something very clever and awesomely reliable.

I have talked this over with Sir David of Zeal Monachorum and with a bit of careful thought and a good autosparks it's possible. However IIRC there is some wiring to do behicnd the dash and you really don't want to try and go behind the dash.

Just use bigger batteries and a better winch that doesn't use so much juice - like an EP12 or 15

*The only reason for 24volt winches is to reduce the additional power useage caused by using an antiquated design with a modern motor in an effort to get more speed thus retaing battery life and by reducing motor temp increasing motor life. Solution use a better winch firts time round* Quote from 'The Holy Book Of Winching' By Anon

Have a look here http://www.washbrook.net/winch.htm , but as HH says, doable, but worth it?

I think the relay would have to come from the states.

Boats use a similar relay for bow thrusters, just not big enough.

Andy

Thanks all,

Looks like I will be fitting a 24volt system to get most out of batteries and winch's, and leave 12v as is.

Peter

IIRC this system runs the batteries in parallel for charging and normal loads, briefly putting them in series for starting duty (but leaving the rest of the system on just 1 battery).

This is fine for short bursts but won't be any good for winching as the batteries could not be on charge at the same time. In fact I think that one battery would be on charge, the other one would not, as a result one battery would go flat first causing a charge imbalance which would be catastrophic to the batteries. Much easier (and simpler) to go the 24V alternator route. You would also be running 2 alternators and therefore quite simply you would have more electricity to play with!

Shaun.

we have a lorry at work this has a 24v starting system but everything else is 12v it has a winch fitted which as far as i am aware runs off the 24v system i think the alternator is 24v and the 12v system comes off only 1 batery ill have a look and see how its wired