Radio fitting options

Hi I dont really want a raptor dash or a mud dash either. I dont want to reinvent the wheel either. Some of yous guys must have fitted something like I am thinking about but I dont know if it exists like a ml3 player type thing with 2 speakers that are quite loud as it a 200 tdi 90   , or is there a radio that can be run off a usb connection like a getto blaster from the 80s , am I just out of luck and have to fit a mud panel I know you can also get a lr fitting kit but £60 odd  for a bit of plastic , I hoping there is something or I just keep humming.

Cheers andy

There's a lot of chinese "mechless" single or double DIN head units which have no CD mechanism so are very thin, I fitted one into the ambulance in a simple panel that sits behind the dash:

IMG_3863.JPG

Stereo cost £15 delivered, a pair of cheap Halfords 6x9's mounted in the cab ceiling, it's not going to win any awards but in a Defender at 70mph you don't notice - it's got radio, USB, SD card and AUX input.

I've got one a bit like this in my jag, again they can be had for dirt cheap and are thin enough to get into a Defender dash quite easily. Most of them have USB, SD card, Aux input, reversing camera, GPS and bluetooth connection - I added a DAB dongle to mine which was a total waste of time, reception is terrible.

s-l500.jpg.5fb1ac7b44474a86cd9c7fee479cafbf.jpg

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Do you have  a link to that double DIN one please ?

Yes, it's in the post:

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I've got one a bit like this in my jag,

:P

That was literally the first one that popped up on eBay - there's hundreds of them, and you need to look carefully as they all look similar and make very similar claims but some have better or worse features, check;

- Single, dual, quad core + amount of RAM fitted

- Operating system & version, some run Android 8, some run 5, some run Windows CE.

- Some have Wifi, some you can cast your phone screen to them, some need a 3G dongle (but often don't mention it)

- Most of them claim DAB, but they almost ALL need a dongle which is both more money and rubbish.

- Most have steering-wheel controls

- Most have bluetooth but the features & phones supported can vary, especially for fruity phones

- Reversing camera / aux video input(s) and outputs, recording (dashcam) to an SD card

- How many front & rear USB / aux connections, depending how you want to set it up.

In my Jag I replaced the cig lighter with a USB + AUX socket which goes into the back of my unit, very neat... but not all units have those connections

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There's a lot of chinese "mechless" single or double DIN head units which have no CD mechanism so are very thin, I fitted one into the ambulance in a simple panel that sits behind the dash:

IMG_3863.JPG

Stereo cost £15 delivered, a pair of cheap Halfords 6x9's mounted in the cab ceiling, it's not going to win any awards but in a Defender at 70mph you don't notice - it's got radio, USB, SD card and AUX input.

I've got one a bit like this in my jag, again they can be had for dirt cheap and are thin enough to get into a Defender dash quite easily. Most of them have USB, SD card, Aux input, reversing camera, GPS and bluetooth connection - I added a DAB dongle to mine which was a total waste of time, reception is terrible.

s-l500.jpg.5fb1ac7b44474a86cd9c7fee479cafbf.jpg

Right that I do me. What's the housing made from ect. Thanks andy