110 rear salisbury rebuild or other options

Hi all,

So while in isolation I'm pondering the never ending list of jobs for the defender. Next being the rear salisbury on my 110. It's got 297000 miles on it now.

It's got a ton of slack in the diff (not the flanges, those are new) so I'm wondering whether rebuilding it is a feasible task and would remove the slack (I like to repair things and not scrap them!) Or if I'm being silly and should swap to a lower mileage unit or swap to the later rover style rear axle. What do you think? Anyone tackled a unit with this many miles on?

Truck is not a heavy off roader, road use and greenlaning for me..I do have a 450ish Nm engine though

Adam

Measuring the backlash from the pinion I take it? Sounds good though, I know ours has been cared for as it's been with us since around 34000 miles. I've noticed in the last 2 years things such as speed bumps can caused kangarooing. Which leads me to the rear axle or transfer box as the other items I have worked on recently so know are unlikely culprits

Yeah I'm thinking that's the obvious next step although as I'm writing this I'm wondering if my bushes could have alot to do with it. 

Does anyone have a link to specifications for the axle in regards to backlash etc?

Significant slack and wear in well cared for differentials themselves is very rare in my experience. Slack in halfshafts/drive members and bushes on the other hand is so common as to be "standard fit" :D

Wear is perfectly possible though of course. The workshop manual says that the crown wheel backlash should be 0.15 to 0.27 mm.

The Salisbury is bulletproof. I overhauled 2 of them. If teeth are ok, you simply have to change bearings and seals. In 95% no new distancing is necessary only a new collapsible spacer. Thrust washers are from steel, they almost don't wear. In one of them I had really hard sludge inside the diff after 450000 km. Together with new shafts and drive members the difference in "clonk" will be feelable.