Is anyone running a standard height disco on 235/85 R16's?

freeagent

I want to go up a tyre size, to give me a bit of clearance below the diffs in ruts, but as the disco is my daily driver i don't realy want to lift it and have to start messing around with steering geometry/ cranked arms, double jointed props, etc...

I'm quite happy triming a little from the return on the wheel arches but don't want to start removing great chunks of bodywork.

the tyres are for off road use only, as i'll be running my normal 205's during the week... and i don't want to live with the taller gearing that 235/85's will bring on a daily basis...

the 235/85's will be fitted to standard disco rims so not with a huge off-set.

i'm thinking about fitting a pair of standard height but uprated britpart springs to the rear, as i often carry heavy weights in the back and suffer a bit from a saggy rear.

i've got a H/D bumper on the front, so not worries about trimming bumper endcaps, and soon to have a discoparts heavy duty rear bumper.. i'm not trying to build a monster off roader, just a sound expedition truck and greenlane toy.

am i asking for trouble fitting 235/85's without a suspension lift? or have others done it....

i don't realy want to go for 245/75's as it limits my tyre choice too much...

anythoughts would be most welcome....

depends on the tyres you get. something sensible like BFGs you'll just need a small trim on the back of rear arch. i needed to trim 1.5" all round to get my machos under though. seems to be a bit 'suck it & see' from various peoples experiences.

btw with a sensible lift 2"ish you wont need anything fancy except longer brakelines.

i've been thinking about a lift, but the amount of stuff on the market is baffling... and generally my Disco rides quite nicely, and i realy don't want to mess it up. i have to use it for work every day (40 mile round trip, motorway and lanes) and don't want to be driving a jelly on wheels...

i cant realy afford to splash out £500 on a premium brand suspension lift (OME, TJM) and had been looking at the yellow britpart springs that paddocks do...

if i lift it, i only want to go up around an inch, but want to uprate the rear end as i often carry a lot of weight...

i had been looking at this kit..

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/OFF_ROAD/C...out_winch).html

but when i looked at the tech specs of the springs on Britparts website it said the the fronts were good for a 25mm lift and were up 30lb on standard, but the rears were good for a 50mm lift and were up over 150lb on standard! i'm a bit concerned that the ride will be too stiff when its empty, and it would just sit too high... i don't mind it sitting up a bit, as i can't stand it sagging... but don't want to wreck my rotoflex on the rear prop...

I realy want to get this right as don't want to waste loads of money trying out things which don't suit my needs...

Andy, i guess your probs came from the fact that remoulds have a larger diameter than 'new tyres' and you're actually running a larger tyre than 235/85...?

could be they were a bit oversize yeah, i know of another disco on remould 235/85s that just needed a camel cut though. different tyres mind & i cant remember what hes got. know anyone running the tyres you fancy? borrow a wheel & try it, the offset is the same as a defender so it doesnt matter what the wheel is off.

i lifted my disco with spring spacers from mill services, it does roll a lot now but it is an early one with no anti-roll bars. got a mate who used to have a pro-comp 2" lift, that seemed to handle well even with the anti-roll bars removed. a lift wont help the tyres fit tbh, as soon as the suspension flexs they end up in the arches anyway.you will get more roll but once i got used to it i seem to be driving almost as fast anyway.

cheers Andy, I was under the impression that lifting it wouldn't realy help with fitting bigger tyres because as you say, as soon as one goes up into the arch you've got the same problem, lift or no lift.

we have a rooftent, and tend to carry a second spare wheel on the roof when away on trips, so our roof is probably carrying 100KG, hence why i'm worried about lifting it.

i also quite like the anti roll bars, the do make a difference on road, and i can live with their limitations off road....

your mate with the remoulds and just the camel cut.. did he lift his suspension? or was he running standard ride height?

i know i'm probably trying to acheive the impossible, good road handling without ruining its off road abilities, but i'm not fussed about improving its suspension off road, but don't want to make it any worse, off road or on....

if i can fit 235/85's with H/D standard ride-height springs and a little bodywork trimming i'll be well happy...

i think my mate with the remoulds etc was running a 2" lift, but to be honest i really cant remember.

you can keep the anti-roll bars with a lift, its just my mate likes silly flexy suspension so threw them away. you can tell hes daft about flex he got over 40" out of a suzuki 410!

Most people I know of with 235/85 on a Disco have a 2 inch lift, but I've seen it done on a 1 inch lift. You will have to do a fair bit of trimming anyway with or without a lift, but guess you will have to do a bit more if you want to stay standard height - think camel cut.

It might be worth considering Land Rovers HD rear springs and gas shocks - bit of info and some pics in the techinical section here

I had 245/75 on mine with standard height and then a 1 inch lift - easy enough to get BFGs in that size with a lot less trimming, but still a bit.

Hope that's of some help

Hmmmm... thanks Cal, and Andy...

i've read that guys website before, he certainly seams to be the voice of common sense, and he's right, raising the COG is not what i want to do... especially with a rooftent on top.

i might look at the Britpart yellow springs that are uprated but standard height, as i will soon have rocksliders, and H/D steel bumpers front and rear....

I'd been looking at the Bearmach springs, uprated front and rear, but they only lift the front 30mm, and the rear 40mm... but if thats likely to start to upset the handling then its a non-starter...

i'm sure the standard height H/D Britpart springs will give a bit of a lift, as my current springs have done 120K and are probably sagging a bit...

I reckon the way forward is to borrow a 235/85 (my mate has a set on his 110, and i think they are on rangie steels) and see what the score is....

I know i can get 245/75's under with minimal fuss, but as i said before, it does limit my tyre choice a lot... and i'd like to get as much 'air under the diffs' as possible....

Yeah, it's a good site - but obviously aimed more at expedition sort of use rather than pay and play days.

I had some Famous Four +1 springs on mine which were uprated (stiffness) by about 25% I think so even with the lift you still had good handling, but they're pretty pricey I think compared to some. I didn't have any problems with them sagging, but I also didn't have them more than about 5 months before I had to sell my Disco anyway, so might not be a great example for you.

You could maybe think of +1 HD springs and some of those air helper springs for a bit of extra stiffness when you're fully loaded? No idea what they're like to use, but might be worth a thought.

I will try and find some pics of the kind of amount you will need to trim your arches.

Yeah, it's a good site - but obviously aimed more at expedition sort of use rather than pay and play days.

I had some Famous Four +1 springs on mine which were uprated (stiffness) by about 25% I think so even with the lift you still had good handling, but they're pretty pricey I think compared to some. I didn't have any problems with them sagging, but I also didn't have them more than about 5 months before I had to sell my Disco anyway, so might not be a great example for you.

You could maybe think of +1 HD springs and some of those air helper springs for a bit of extra stiffness when you're fully loaded? No idea what they're like to use, but might be worth a thought.

I will try and find some pics of the kind of amount you will need to trim your arches.

when you lifted the truck 1" did you have any problems with the caster angle, ie, vague steering that didn't self centre...

i've heard conflicting reports, some people reckon you need new front radius arms if you lift the truck, which in turn leads to needing a modified front prop...

others reckon you can lift upto 2" without needing to do any of that...

as most of the wheelarch clearance problems seam to be because of the length of the wheel arch (ie, front and rear clearance) rather than height, i don't see that lifting it (unless you jack it up 6") is much help anyway...

No, no problems at all. I did need the rubber donut on the drive shaft changing but given the state of the underside of the rest of the vehicle that may not have had anything to do with the lift anyway.

I guess you could argue that if you go for a lift, the longer springs will stop the wheels lifting all the way into the arch anyway, thereby sort of helping...?

a lift does help a bit, till you put a wheel on a rock & stuff it up to the bumpstop then it doesnt matter how far it had to travel to get there it'll rub in the same places.

ive got a 2" lift on mine, yes the steering is lighter but you get used to it quick enough & it still self-centers fine. maybe a touch more bumpsteer too, but honestly its hardly a major change in how the car drives. add 10-15psi to the tyres for the same effect.

• 8 years later...

Hi Guys,

I’m currently doing some OffRoad preparation on my old Disco 300 TDI '94, which was from my father and is "part of the family" since then, so I decided to come here since I need some help.
The idea is to prepare it for some touristic OffRoad courses as well as some trips/expedition, etc. Nothing extreme such as trial, etc.
I’ve installed OME Nitrocharger Sport +2” springs and shocks (it was still with the original suspension which was quite saggy) and am thinking on putting the TOUGH DOG RTC steering shock (is it a good idea?) and more appropriate tyres (currently it has Michelin Latitude).
And it’s really regarding tyres that I need your help. I want something more robust for this purpose but nothing with "bigfoot" looking (that ones getting too much out to the wheel arches).
I've been reading several opinions about this subject and was thinking on installing some AT ou MT on size 245/75R16, 235/85R16 or 265/75R16 but I'm still trying to know what's the more adequate, which ones need more changes and which (“camel cut”, reinforcing steering, etc).
I kindly ask you opinion about brand (BFG, other), type (A/T or M/T), size and recommended wheel hubs (iron/aluminium?, brand, model, etc).
On option I was seriously considering was BFG’s MT 265/75R16 with boost rims, an alternative would be Cooper STT or Michelin XZL but I’m still very un-decise…
On the other hand aren’t MT tyres too un-confortable on road? And about fuel consumption?
Best regards and thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Hi Guys,

I’m currently doing some OffRoad preparation on my old Disco 300 TDI '94, which was from my father and is "part of the family" since then, so I decided to come here since I need some help.

The idea is to prepare it for some touristic OffRoad courses as well as some trips/expedition, etc. Nothing extreme such as trial, etc.

I’ve installed OME Nitrocharger Sport +2” springs and shocks (it was still with the original suspension which was quite saggy) and am thinking on putting the TOUGH DOG RTC steering shock (is it a good idea?) and more appropriate tyres (currently it has Michelin Latitude).

And it’s really regarding tyres that I need your help. I want something more robust for this purpose but nothing with "bigfoot" looking (that ones getting too much out to the wheel arches).

I've been reading several opinions about this subject and was thinking on installing some AT ou MT on size 245/75R16, 235/85R16 or 265/75R16 but I'm still trying to know what's the more adequate, which ones need more changes and which (“camel cut”, reinforcing steering, etc).

I kindly ask you opinion about brand (BFG, other), type (A/T or M/T), size and recommended wheel hubs (iron/aluminium?, brand, model, etc).

On option I was seriously considering was BFG’s MT 265/75R16 with boost rims, an alternative would be Cooper STT or Michelin XZL but I’m still very un-decise…

On the other hand aren’t MT tyres too un-confortable on road? And about fuel consumption?

Best regards and thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Don't you have this same post over on Landyzone?

BTW - since this thread is from 2007! And asking about fitting tyres without a lift and your question is far more general and you have a lift, I suspect you'd be better off starting a dedicated thread for your question(s).

:)

To answer the question yes 235/85x16 are fine with a 2" lift provided your on stock offset rims you may get a little rub at full articulation (cured with longer bump stops). As to tyres it's all about what you want to do/like bfg at and the old pattern muds (km1) will last forever and are very good for their respective jobs km2 muds are quiter I think better off road but wear quicker still quite long lasting though.

Mike

Personally I think running extended bump stops is usually a cop out. A 235 shouldn't really be rubbing hugely under compression (maybe a 5 door is different). But my 3 door they certainly didn't. Not in a place where bump stops would make any difference anyhow.

6x4-DSC002354.jpg

This is with trimmed arches, maybe 5-6" plus removed from the top of the rear wheel arch. But it would most likely have been fine with the 235's without trimming this much. Standard bump stops.

Suspect you'd want a 'camel cut' though, as the rear of the rear arch gets very close to the tyre if you don't.