LR90 Gearbox Reverse Problem

tractor_morgan

Hi,

Recently purchased a 1982 Land Rover 90 for another cheap farm runabout. However, the reverse gear jumps (or should I say forces) itself out all the time. If you really feather the clutch it will creep back, but if you drop the clutch completely it will come out and you can't hold it.

Is it worth repairing the gearbox as the other gears work great or should I just go for a replacement @ £250 upwards.

I assumed it was an LT77, but maybe at this age it isn't?

Regards

90’s were first built in mid 1984………. The earliest you will find should be a ‘B’ plate.

Yes, early 90’s used the LT77 gearbox and the early LT230R transferbox.

Ian

Hi,

Yes, sorry it is a B'reg - got my years mixed up. Thank you for clarifying the gearbox type.

Regards - Peter

Just one thing to try before abandoning all hope - check that someone hasn't screwed the reversing light switch in too far, cause I've had exactly this problem! It was cured, for free, by adjusting the reverse light switch out a little.

Jon

Thank you Jon, I will try that.

Many Thanks - Peter

Unfortunately, the reverse switch was not the problem, is anybody else able to offer some advice?

Many thanks

when you select reverse in an LT77 you are engaging 3 gears, the 1/2 syncro outer on the mainshaft, the reverse idler gear (to reverse the direction) and the layshaft, 1, 2 or all 3 are worn sometimes totally mashed from abuse, sometimes the gear face is worn at an angle so it slides out under load, sounds like you have the latter problem, it's box out I'm afraid, we often do repairs like this and whilst I cannot be exact until we know what parts we are changing they usually cost between £ 125 and £ 200, + VAT,

hope this helps,

Dave Ashcroft

www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk

If you take the transmission cover off and look on the RHS (sitting in drivers seat) at the base of the gearstick there is a funny 'T' shaped grey metal peice held in with 2 M6 bolts, undo these and put this in your vice, on one of the bit sticking out there is a hexegan head (around 19mm-22mm) undo this and take the spring and ball bearing out then fill it with wd-40 and put the hexgan back in, then where the thing goes in to the gearbox there is a plunger type thing, give this a bash with a copper mallet to make sure its free, if it frees off re fit the ball bearing and spring and put it back in and try it, you can also try it while the peice is out to see if its any better, this is from my experience with a box where i could not get reverse even with the reverseing light switch taken out.

Will.

If you take the transmission cover off and look on the RHS (sitting in drivers seat) at the base of the gearstick there is a funny 'T' shaped grey metal peice held in with 2 M6 bolts, undo these and put this in your vice, on one of the bit sticking out there is a hexegan head (around 19mm-22mm) undo this and take the spring and ball bearing out then fill it with wd-40 and put the hexgan back in, then where the thing goes in to the gearbox there is a plunger type thing, give this a bash with a copper mallet to make sure its free, if it frees off re fit the ball bearing and spring and put it back in and try it, you can also try it while the peice is out to see if its any better, this is from my experience with a box where i could not get reverse even with the reverseing light switch taken out.

Will.

hi Will,

if this reverse plunger sticks as they sometimes do it stops you going across to the left to the reverse gate and the gearstick stops at the 1/2 gate, i don't think this is the problem Peter is having as he mentioned it went into reverse then kicks out,

hi Will,

if this reverse plunger sticks as they sometimes do it stops you going across to the left to the reverse gate and the gearstick stops at the 1/2 gate, i don't think this is the problem Peter is having as he mentioned it went into reverse then kicks out,

Dave,

Yes, I confirm that it is going into gear, but is being forced out under any load. I would not say the problem relates to the actual initial engagement of the gear, this seems to be fine. It looks to be like the gearbox had got to come out. In your experience, is it worth repairing this reverse issue, given the mileage (200K) the rest of the gearbox has done, or is it better sense to replace the whole gearbox with a lower mileage used, or re-conditioned box? She is only a rough farm runaround, so any expense saved......

Many Thanks for both replies. I'm getting quite good at planning all turning around with a slope in mind, even if it means an extra few 100yds at times.

Thanks again - Peter