TD5 1st gear syncro

at some point in the near future i'm going to have to fit a heavy duty clutch. so whilst the gearbox is out thought if possible would look at 1 - 2 syncro as not good at changing at high revs.

before we start i know all about double clutching etc. just niggle i would like to fix.

anybody stripped there gearbox R380. is it possible to change the just the 1 -2 syncro with out a complete strip down?

many thanks

I suspect not, and it’s a job I’ll need to do (2nd rather than first grinding a little on quick changes, as is common).  Britannica Restorations has a few YouTube videos on how to do it, with some of the traps to watch for.  He also sells USB sticks with the manuals loaded on them, so the two together would be very useful.

I not stripped a r380 but lt77 . The difference is from memory where 5  and reverse is. No it on the main shaft you could just replace 1 and 2 baulk rings but  you might as well do the lot when your in there   you'll have it in bits at that point anyway . Just seen post above just use the video from mike @britiana restorations that's what I used.

Edited by andy _1

From memory, 1 - 2 synchro rings of a R380 will require a full strip down & rebuild as they are on the mainshaft just forward of the centre plate. 3 - 4 are accessible at the front end with just the input shaft removed. 5th requires removal of the rear housing, etc. TBH, if in that far then a full overhaul is the way to go.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, DaveSIIA said:

From memory, 1 - 2 synchro rings of a R380 will require a full strip down & rebuild as they are on the mainshaft just forward of the centre plate. 3 - 4 are accessible at the front end with just the input shaft removed. 5th requires removal of the rear housing, etc. TBH, if in that far then a full overhaul is the way to go.

Looks like its ganna be a first time land rover gearbox strip....