109 Headlining

AlexEvans

The LaSalle lining for full roof 109s is very good.  Marking out and cutting the holes for Alpine Lights is a real pain, but the fit is very good and the final result excellent.  It would have looked that little bit neater if they had made the panels with a lip that goes under the gutter channel, just to give a more finished appearance around the edges, but that is my only criticism.  It’s quick to fit (Alpine holes aside), very robust and scrubable for cleaning.

This is mine while I was installing it.  The Alpine surround on the left was secured to fit neater like the one on the right.  I used camping mats for heat and sound insulation behind it.

image.jpeg.91ec2bca54980b332c4bcc22d40f8e16.jpeg

+1 on a LaSalle. Unfortunately it's not cheap, then again short-run items never will be. Cost is hard to sanction, If you've the pennies then I'd tell you to do it. Grants a space to put radio and four speakers, but you'll need to do serious work on sound-proofing to utilise such 'luxuries'. As others have said, you'll want to insulate with closed-cell foam or similar, else whichever way you go, you'll create a a pricey funnel. Can't put enough emphasis on insulation. Dampens the 'driving-a-biscuit-tin' effect you've got now - to a point- but no one 'thing' does it all. True noise-reduction is quite involved.

Old pic,  here's mine, that's 8mm and 10mm stable-matting. See your local livery supplier. I confess, I made a hash of the interior-lamps back then. I see above, Snagger has coiler lamps, these days I've Lucas L562 in there.

InteriorLasalle Oct 2012.JPG

Lucas L562.jpg

Edited by Landrover17H

Oh yes, a leafer for daily use is at best accoustically challenged, the shape and hard flat surfaces can't help matters. Modern cars with infinitely better acoustics than a box-square leafer come ex-factory with 8-10 speakers. Four is good, yet if I had my time again I'd order a LaSalle with 6 x speaker-pods. Thus two as you see now, the two not shown in the rear, and two where LaSalle currently place pods, above B-Pillar. You'll want more than two, two speakers leave an acoustic hole. Even if you don't fit them all at once, suggest you order with provision to add as you see fit.

i've not looked, those wallet-chav coilers you see about... under the body-kit, how they 'plumb' audio might be a decent indication.

Edited by Landrover17H

I put my front speakers in the Defender position (you need slimline speakers to do that because of the space taken by the windscreen wiper motor) and the rear speakers in the headlining above the small rear windows.  That keeps them above loads and away from water.  I can understand having them in the rear light covers on rag tops, but it doesn’t make sense having them low down in hard tops or station wagons.

I'd put speakers in the doors only with or without LSalle door trims, I can't see it looking 'right'.  Where I have speakers now is out of the way, and doesn't hurt my eyes. Tweeters might go in the Defender position, but I can't get that serious. Anyways, modern-life forces phone-chargers and SatNav which is too much shonk as it is. If I wanted an Audi...

Snagger, can I ask - where is your radio/head-unit? Second time round,  would you do it differently?

Edited by Landrover17H

On 8/30/2020 at 2:32 PM, Landrover17H said:

Snagger, can I ask - where is your radio/head-unit? Second time round,  would you do it differently?

I’m happy with it, despite my ears not being in my knees (standard Defender problem).  It’s neat and accessible.  I did consider the overhead radio version of the head lining, but while fairly practical, I didn’t like its appearance all that much, so yes, I’d do it the same way again.

Incidentally, that is not condensation within the voltmeter but the reflection of a silver “life hammer” seat belt knife and window breaker.  But both those gauges do get some condensation sometimes in winter.  I need to fit a small silicone hose to a nipple on each from the lower facia,so the heater will ventilate them.

C993D9A8-69E1-41B7-A996-132C00464558.jpeg

Blimey, (says he not really knowing what he's looking at) I was thinking you'd crammed that lot in the centre cubby-box, but no. The cubby-box solution doesn't work well. But yours looks very decent. You piccy comes a bit murky on my screen, but I can just make it out? Not too familiar with coilers. If it isn't a factory offering, it would fool me. What are we  looking at?

Snagger's Dash.jpeg

Edited by Landrover17H

24 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

That's a 109, can't you tell from the Speedo?

The wipers and split windscreen also give the game away!

It’s a MudStuff centre console.  They’re marketed for Defenders, but they fit SIIIs just as easily.

3 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

I think i've shown it before, but I finished-up with this. Whilst it's work-in-progress, (need to get matched gauges etc), and it's very Series, I'm not sure in practical use, it's as good.

Gauge Fitment  30-06-20.JPG

I had a similar configuration in mine years ago.  The upper steel part had the fog and hazard light switches and the brake failure warning lamp, so they were easily relocated to make space for a typical aftermarket stereo holder.  The lower fascia ports had two gauges and a rear wash wipe switch.   All very typical of SIIIs and earlier Defenders.  That didn’t give much switch space, though, or allow for the CB, so it all got replaced during my 2004 rebuild.