Upgrading a standard alternator

Hi searching through the forum there is a lot of information about fitting a second alternator or fitting a mondeo alternator. However I am looking for a simple bolt on solution. On a 1994 V8 Efi out of a discovery (run v belts as opposed to serpentine) is it possible to do a straight bolt on replacement (i.e. avoiding any engineering whatsoever) and replace the existing Magneti Marreli A127-85 Amp alternator with a 100amp version.

The other odd thing is that per the parts book part number YLE10099 is a Lucas A127 however the sticker on the alternator bearing the same part number (YLE10099) is definitely a Magneti Marreli alternator.

Again looking at the parts book the disco 100amp alternator only seems to fit the serpentine engine can you swap pulleys over.

You can swap pulleys although they don't always go without a fight - alternator shafts can be different diameters etc. and bear in mind above about 90A a single V-belt may struggle to transmit enough power at full load.

Although some non-LR ones are not fittable without adaption, many others are. Some you can unbolt the casing & rotate it to give the correct fitment, others are right off the shelf. I've just fitted a RR 80A to replace the 65A and that bolts straight on (but has no tach feed, grrr). My dad's V8 RR has a Ford Sierra 4x4 alternator on and that was a straight swap.

If you look at the way yours fits, then trawl eBay or the scrapyard for alternators that fit the same and you should do OK. Aim to pay £15-30.

What you're looking for is the current rating, this is the back of my mondeo (Bosch) one:

post-21-1168435523_thumb.jpg

Note the big "90", then underneath "14v" (higher voltage than stock as it's a more modern regulator) and the "45-90A" you can just make out which means it kicks out 45A at idle and 90A at speed.

Hi searching through the forum there is a lot of information about fitting a second alternator or fitting a mondeo alternator. However I am looking for a simple bolt on solution. On a 1994 V8 Efi out of a discovery (run v belts as opposed to serpentine) is it possible to do a straight bolt on replacement (i.e. avoiding any engineering whatsoever) and replace the existing Magneti Marreli A127-85 Amp alternator with a 100amp version.

The other odd thing is that per the parts book part number YLE10099 is a Lucas A127 however the sticker on the alternator bearing the same part number (YLE10099) is definitely a Magneti Marreli alternator.

Again looking at the parts book the disco 100amp alternator only seems to fit the serpentine engine can you swap pulleys over.

Magneti Marreli is effectively a copy of a Lucas one. Lucas no longer produce new rotating electrical parts although recons are still available. They don't even produce genuine parts for alts and starters anymore, their agents will supply/reference to a pattern part. I read somewhere recentely that all their new electrical part production has been outsourced to Turkey.

They are all interchangeable. LR will just buy in 1000 (say) alternators for the production line from which ever manufacturer who tends to be cheaper that week/month. Typical Ford/Vauxhall/Eurobox will often list 3 or 4 different manufacturers for starters and alts.