Rally Raid Suspension D90

Hi all, looking for some thoughts, suggestions or guidance on who to speak or where to look for setting up a 300tdi Defender 90 suspension to do the Intercontinental Rally (Old Paris Dakar Route) in Jan 2022.  The base vehicle is a ex military Wolf, internal roll cage, strengthened chassis and axles, some other nice features for this trip so thought it would be a good start. The truck will get a full overhaul, engine out, full tune up, gear and T box out and overhauled and maybe change gear box ratios. Thoughts ?

Re Suspension. My thinking is that large axle articulation is not that relevant for the event but I do need springs and dampers that can handle all day fast punishment driving on desert trails, sand, corrugations etc. Will most probably run with 245/75/16 BFG All Terrains unless anyone else has a view. I'm also wondering whether I should be considering lowering the truck to reduce the centre of gravity and tighten it up a bit and make it less wallowy. Is that sensible or is the compromise on suspension travel too great? Any thoughts on best springs and damper combo? Progressive springs to handle compressions? Bump stops? Dual shocks or external reservoir? We are enthusiastic amateurs rather than full competition as you might have gathered already but, for the challenge of it, we will be entering the race rather than the adventure group. Any thoughts or experience insights most welcome. Thanks.

Edited by Landy affliction

i know andy sargeant has done well in france with his production class 110 hardtop, from what i remember looking at it a while back, it had 2.5" fox res dampers all round, standard diameter springs, i think it had hydraulic bumpstops also.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As an outsider looking in, it seems a lot of the rally raiders in the uk either convert their defenders to D2 stuff or build on D2 chassis. The D2 front end has a improvements over the Defednder. 

You cant beat long travel for high speed off road work, but thats up travel. Lifting your d90 on the springs will increase COG and worsen suspension geometry, in short what you gain in up travel you lose more so else where. Spring rates will be key, along with Goog quality tuneable shocks. If you can fit 2.5" external fox , king etc then go for those and as RLM said, hydro bumps. 

300Tdi, as much cooling as you can give it and keep the tune clean and low. Cut a vent in the left wing (where a 200tdi air intake would be)

R380, HDbearing upgrade 

LT230 Ahscroft atb, extended sump.