Dislocating leaf springs

o_teunico

Hi all,

Has someone ever tried to discard shacles and run a flat end leaf setup?

An inverted "U" shape clip will provide lateral location ant that way the leafs could dislocate for extra wheel drop (with longer shocks).

Pictured Bill van Snolkel's (aka William Larnam) Wildfing, with telescopic shackles and a suspension flex that dislocating leafs could emulate.

leaf-spring-1.jpg

Screenshot_20201101-022230.png

Yes they are, but the question was about removing the shackles altogether and letting the leaf end rub on a pad on the chassis?

It would tend to be very noisy wouldn't it? The loose end even if contained in a slider would rattle up and down and side to side. Probably OK for a completely off road vehicle but not great for an on road one?

You could use and inverted C section with the open end down with a pair of slots along the length and a bolt through the end of the leaf. This would stick with the correct fixing but allow more movement? Not sure it would gain anything as it can't droop like the revolvers and will wear the bolt out cutting it!

The std system allows for location and wear resistance with easy movement.

You mean these?

p1010133.jpg

I think they're still made for Suzukis, consensus for Land ROvers was they don't make a lot of (useful) difference. I think the rotation is more useful than the droop - Gon2Far's other product was these rotating mounts for the front:

parabolic.xtend.jpg

I have the front ones, I used to have revolvers but when the time came to fit them they were deemed unlikely to survive abuse on Russian roads and left off, I sold them in the end.

• Like 1

Going back to the original question:

Has someone ever tried to discard shacles and run a flat end leaf setup?

An inverted "U" shape clip will provide lateral location ant that way the leafs could dislocate for extra wheel drop (with longer shocks).

Just having an upside down "U" channel would be an issue as you could not guarantee that the axle ends would relocate which would leave the ends at the side of the chassis thus providing no support and the vehicle collapsing. Capping the "U" would stop the droop so no point.

This also reopens the discussion on is there any benefit of an unloaded wheel touching the ground, can it still provide traction?