Oil in exhaust after 200TDI rebuild

I have quite a considerable amount of oil coming out the exhaust ports of the  200TDI I recently rebuilt.

The head does have cracks between the inlet/exhaust valves however the seats are intact. I could not find a suitable replacement head so refitted the one I had although I know, not ideal.

The valve's have all been lapped in and new valve stem seals fitted. I made sure that they seated correctly by using a socket to push them into the valve guide indent. They all felt very firm when installed. I did the water leakdown test and all the valves passed after lapping. 

New pistons and rings were fitted and the bores re-honed but not re-board as still in spec. There is a small amount of blow-by from the breather, however the engine has not been broken in so I would expect the rings have not seated yet. 

The head gasket is the new Multi-layer steel style and was torqued down in the right sequence. 

Any ideas?

IMG_20201023_140636.jpg

IMG_20201023_140624.jpg

IMG_20201016_121411.jpg

IMG_20201016_161112.jpg

Edited by youngengineer

After a previous head gasket replacement where I used the laminated steel gasket, I had oil in the cooling system, so head off, replaced the gasket with a elring composite type, problem cured, I don't use the laminated gasket now, think they are trash. Also check your turbo oil seals & associated hoses, it could be getting past the turbo seals & into exhaust

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, western said:

After a previous head gasket replacement where I used the laminated steel gasket, I had oil in the cooling system, so head off, replaced the gasket with a elring composite type, problem cured, I don't use the laminated gasket now, think they are trash. Also check your turbo oil seals & associated hoses, it could be getting past the turbo seals & into exhaust

Good to know. It's a 300tdi gasket. I wonder if It may help to torque the central bolts a further 20 degrees such as the manual suggests for the 300.

Edited by youngengineer

It is just exhaust leaks.  With the engine cold idling, half burned diesel will come out the exhaust.  It is not oil. Put it together and drive it. Cold idling destroys the engine. If you just rebuilt it, you are ruining all of that work.  It is critical to get load onto the rings immediately.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Red90 said:

It is just exhaust leaks.  With the engine cold idling, half burned diesel will come out the exhaust.  It is not oil. Put it together and drive it. Cold idling destroys the engine. If you just rebuilt it, you are ruining all of that work.  It is critical to get load onto the rings

I had it idle for no more then a few minutes since rebuild only to check for leaks. I took it out today and gave it a good run with decent load and achieved full boost on several passes. I am also using sae30 break in oil. I assure you that this is engine oil and not diesel.

The leaking has subsided since it's been run on the road today, possibly since the oil has now dried solid around the egt port and manifold and provided a seal. I will pull the valve cover tomorrow and check the stem seals 

Edited by youngengineer

I trust your opinion. Maybe I am misunderstanding the concept however. If the valve stem seals have failed or lifted from the valve guides then surely oil from the head would enter the combustion chamber and be pushed out the exhaust port since it would be uncombusted? Alternatively if the headgasket had failed between and oil way and cylinder then would oil not also be introduced into the combustion chamber?

Edited by youngengineer
  • Like 1

The pressure in the exhaust ports is always higher than the pressure in the valve cover. This forces exhaust gas to flow into the valve cover if there is a valve stem leak.  There is no way for oil to flow counter to this.

As to oilways, there is only one oilway through the head gasket and it is not near any combustion chambers. In addition, any oil entering the combustion chamber (more likely via the rings) will be burned.  If so much was entering that it could not be completely burned, the engine would run on the oil and it would not be possible to shut the engine down through normal means.

Edited by Red90
  • Like 1

Thank you for the explanation.

That makes sense.

However, Would a failed valve stem seal on an inlet valve not allow oil to be drawn into the combustion chamber since the inlet port would be under vacuum?

If the oil is not "Atomized" then surely it would fail to burn and be released through the exhaust port.

Edited by youngengineer

The inlet is not a lot different.  There is still higher pressure in the inlet port versus the valve cover.  The difference is not as much as the exhaust.  Any oil coming in here will be burned as well.

The whole valve stem leak issue is not really a problem with diesels.  It is a hangover from petrol car experience where the the inlet ports run at high vacuum.

Oil consumption if it happens is almost always rings or turbo seals.

• Thanks 1

I bought one of those Ebay diesel compression testing kits but it read 0 on all four cylinders and since the engine runs reasonably well and starts on half a crank I assume that the gauge is faulty. Either that or I cannot get it to seal correctly.

I am using the adapter which fits into the glow-plug thread.

Surly compression testing a newly rebuilt engine would not be accurate as the rings would not yet be bedded in?

Edited by youngengineer

2 hours ago, youngengineer said:

Good to know. It's a 300tdi gasket. I wonder if It may help to torque the central bolts a further 20 degrees such as the manual suggests for the 300.

No fit as per 200Tdi manual, the bock is a Discovery 200tdi going by the oil filter & vacuum pump locations, where is the fuel lift pump ?

oil filter type & thermostat housings are wrong for a 200tdi 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, western said:

No fit as per 200Tdi manual, the bock is a Discovery 200tdi going by the oil filter & vacuum pump locations, where is the fuel lift pump ?

oil filter type & thermostat housings are wrong for a 200tdi 

You are correct on all counts. I use an electric faucet style pump and decided to blank off the mechanical pump due to several previous failures. The electric pump has proven far more reliable.

I am using a series radiator so the I have no capacity for the oil lines of the TDI filter housing. As for the thermostat, I modified a series one to accept a TDI thermostat.

IMG_20201029_140147.jpg

IMG_20201030_120512.jpg

IMG_20201023_172804.jpg

IMG_20201028_121334.jpg

IMG_20201030_151008.jpg

IMG_20201030_164419.jpg

IMG_20201031_143528.jpg

IMG_20201029_144937.jpg

IMG_20201031_113158.jpg

Edited by youngengineer

1 hour ago, Troll Hunter said:

Some very good photos, but a little text explaining what you are trying to demonstrate in each would be useful!

Mike

The photos show the progress of my series 3 TDI/LT77 conversion. I thought they would be self explanatory but they aren't really relevant to the thread. I posted them just to show the progress of my work.

25 minutes ago, western said:

Got you with the breather, looks like oil to me, diesel fuel can't get to that point.

Yes as I thought. It's oil no doubt. I can only assume my bores or rings are damaged? I gapped the rings to specs on haynes manual.

Could this be due to new unseated rings? It never leaked oil like this before the rebuild. And the oil and middle rings were stuck on all pistons but one so something's not right 

Edited by youngengineer